Date: 7/22/20 9:35 am
From: marciafcutler <marciafcutler...>
Subject: [obol] Re: mystery mimic
The Bewick’s Wren has quite an extensive repertoire which makes identifying it by ear a challenge. However, one of the most consistent calls/songs it makes is what I call the “Heeere kitty-kitty kitty-kitty“ call. Often I don’t hear or register the “Heeere” beginning and just hear the "kitty-kitty kitty-kitty” part. That may be what you are hearing, just different mnemonics. I’ve been hearing it regularly around my house lately.

Marcia F. Cutler

> On Jul 21, 2020, at 4:27 PM, Beverly Ann LaBelle (Redacted sender "beverly.labelle" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Has anyone ever heard a Bewick's Wren make the call or song peter peter peter? Are these wrens mimics?
> I found it very strange. I love in N Portland and heard peter peter peter while walking my dog in early spring and in the last 2 weeks. This bird is foraging in the mature Elm trees that line my street. I was able to see that it was a Bewick's Wren.
> Any thoughts?
>
> Bev LaBelle
> N Haight
> Portland
>

> On July 21, 2020, at 3:51 PM, marciafcutler <marciafcutler...> <mailto:<marciafcutler...>> wrote:
>

> I’m sure Darrel didn’t have a California Quail, but I have seen a CAQU on the top of an old apple tree (higher than the adjacent 2d floor apartment). It was around Christmas time and I thought “a quail in an apple tree”.
>
> Marcia F. Cutler
>
>> On Jul 21, 2020, at 1:59 PM, <t4c1x...> <mailto:<t4c1x...> wrote:
>>
>> For about ten minutes this morning I heard some kind of bird imitating a California Quail here at Thornton Creek, Lincoln Co. It certainly was not a quail, because it was up in the trees, and it moved around over a fairly large area in a short time. I don't think it was a starling, either, because their mimic call sounds a lot like a real quail, and the rendition this bird was giving was a rather poor imitation. I never did catch up with whatever was making the call, and never did see it, so it remains a mystery.
>>
>> Darrel

Join us on Facebook!