Date: 7/22/20 8:07 am
From: Diane Trainer <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender dtoregon for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Birding While female
Paul,

Thank you for what you wrote in OBOL. No truer words were ever written than:
“When someone does not feel welcome they are not likely to say, ‘Hey, I don’t feel welcome!’ They’re more likely to quietly slip away and say nothing. They may think, ‘What an unkind group of folks.’ The person offering the unwelcome vibe will probably be clueless.”

Numerous times that has been my experience as a lone female birder. I also often think, how poorly socialized these guys are, they can’t even muster up a “Hello”.

Never has that been my experience with the groups you lead or the group trips you lead. This is because you lead by an example of kindness and inclusiveness and everyone follows your lead.

One of the ways this matters is when we’ve run into other birders and we’ve been friendly and open as well as forthcoming as to what we’ve seen and where we’ve seen them. Many times, in return, we’ve gotten great leads on birds in that manner. Proving once again, in birding, you’ve got to give to get

Thank you!
Diane Trainer
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!