Date: 7/22/20 7:52 am
From: Jeff and Lauretta Young <jeffandlaurettayoung...>
Subject: [obol] Re: OBOL A Message from the OBA Board of Directors
and while we all need to do self reflecting on doing better

I also do believe we can celebrate successes

When I was just starting to do birding as a 50 ish year old woman with no experience it was kind of “intimidating”

most of that I get to own but the culture of exposing one’s lack of knowledge in a group is in fact humanly intimidating

what I do remember is Paul Sullivan’s every week trips at Tualatin Nature Park and Camassia where in fact he was one of the most welcoming/inclusive/ genuine leaders I have ever seen and I modeled my own private bird tour business after many of his gentle ways of explaining and welcoming and of course this might be just “me” — others can still have their own experience of not feeling welcomed...

specifically I loved it when he said he learned from new people and found new birder’s questions to be welcome

I do think there is room for a bunch of experts to discuss things to learn and I also like all of you have noted the pretty nasty comments to others on OBPL— intentional or not. yes we don’t know the skin color , the gender, the background , the life experience of some of the people on line so it just elevates all of us to be “more gentle” in our comments

including me—— no one has the “right” to not be offended and we all the obligation to recognize our own behavior’s effect on others to have a higher mission of connecting people to each other and the environment

besides a lot of fun and a good way to avoid chores ( that is one birder’s tag line which I love) birding really can be a calling to improve the world

if this is too sappy or too abstract .. just delete it but my main comment is to appreciate over the years many of my birding “mentors” whether they even knew they were or not— Paul Sullivan, Wink Gross who has been incredibly welcoming as he is walking his dog , to Gerard Lillie ( hope I spelled their names correctly), Stefan Schlick— who is such a source of wisdom as well as kindness

I had a bird tour “business” for some years where most of my clients were women whose husbands were in town for conferences— I had mostly newbies from other countries — some of whom were black,some Asian, some with minimal English— very diverse groups

we can all do better

we can all learn

we can all ask others for input

thank you to my mentors and to all who contribute useful comments /insights/photos

in gratitude
Lauretta

> On Jul 21, 2020, at 9:08 PM, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...> wrote:
>
> Jeff,
>
> If you’re asking for dates and names, I cannot give you specific citations. Perhaps that will seem like there’s no real data.
>
> When someone does not feel welcome they are not likely to say, “Hey, I don’t feel welcome!” They’re more likely to quietly slip away and say nothing. They may think, “What a unkind group of folks.” The person offering the unwelcome vibe will probably be clueless.
>
> I can say, from talking to a spectrum of people over the years who are female, or new to birding, or not up on the latest taxonomic splits, or the latest field identification fine points, that “Oregon birding,” seen form the outside has been an old boys club. That certainly has been true if you look at the roster of OFO/OBA membership. If you look folks who post on OBOL, the pattern continues. Of course, women have been part of this from the start as well, but not in the same way. I’ll let them speak for themselves.
>
> Clearly we have offered classes and field trips. We have welcomed new people who fit the mold of what we already have, keen birders willing to strive to “become better birders,” people who are “serious.” Middle-class whites.
>
> Clearly local Audubon chapters have also offered nature classes/trips for adults, kids, camps, in-school programs, etc. In recent years Portland Audubon has made an explicit effort to reach minority communities, the BIPOC demographic. I applaud that effort.
>
> The OBA Board has made a serious effort to be self-reflective, humble, honest, to be open to learn, and to begin a journey. I welcome that.
>
> I think your question is a good one. We each need to look inside ourselves to seek the answer – and then “do something” as we have been hearing John Lewis tell us in recent days.
>
> Paul Sullivan

> Subject: Re: A Message from the OBA Board of Directors
> Date: Tue Jul 21 2020 12:25 pm
> From: jeffgilligan10 AT gmail.com <http://gmail.com/>
>
> When has anyone not been welcomed?

> On Jul 21, 2020, at 8:09 AM, Nagi Aboulenein <nagi.aboulenein...> <mailto:<nagi.aboulenein...>> wrote:

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!