Date: 7/22/20 5:30 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Solitary Sandpiper (1 Grant)
Mew Gull (1 Lincoln)
Canada Jay (Rocky Mts.) (1 Baker)
Hermit Thrush (1 Clatsop)
Pine Grosbeak (1 Wallowa)
Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (1 Baker)
Green-tailed Towhee (1 Linn)

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1)
- Reported Jul 20, 2020 16:39 by Jimi Soupir
- 97873, Seneca US-OR (44.1385,-118.9767), Grant, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.138484,-118.976749&ll=44.138484,-118.976749
- Comments: "Smaller than Lesser Yellowlegs, with greener legs. Generally
gray above and white below."

Mew Gull (Larus canus) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2020 09:04 by Jill Oertley
- Tara Lane Sherwood Lane And Beach, Waldport, Oregon, US (44.416,
-124.083), Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.4156056,-124.08323&ll=44.4156056,-124.08323
- Comments: "Looks like 2and winter mew in sibley gd to birds. Pale
greenish legs, smaller than western, brown smudgy head, dark eye, yellow
bill with black ring near top."

Canada Jay (Rocky Mts.) (Perisoreus canadensis capitalis/albescens) (4)
- Reported Jul 20, 2020 18:20 by Sean Cozart
- Anthony Lake, Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.959388,-118.231376&ll=44.959388,-118.231376
- Comments: "What I would call the expected group but can be debated. By
range, the expected subspecies is bicolor with is a part of the Northern
group, however no CAJA I've seen in Oregon have features of this group.
I've compared photos I have here to those I have photographed in Montana
(subspecies capitalis and Rocky Mts. Group), nape is tad darker gray but it
does bot extend to the eye or to the peak of the crown like most Northern
members. I think acknowledgement to the local birders can bring out some
interesting information, and understand how clinal this species really is."

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2020 20:06 by Shannon Chilcote
- Cannon Beach Settling Ponds, Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.8972364,-123.9574099&ll=45.8972364,-123.9574099
- Comments: "Identified by sound"

Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2020 09:06 by Torrey Gage-Tomlinson
- McCully Creek & Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2756112,-117.1372712&ll=45.2756112,-117.1372712
- Comments: "1 adult male calling and seen at 1.75 miles. Not unexpected at
this location."

Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (Loxia curvirostra (type 2)) (4)
- Reported Jul 20, 2020 16:46 by Sean Cozart
- NF 5185, Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.9562478,-118.2370215&ll=44.9562478,-118.2370215
- Comments: "Pip pip pip. A little high up for their primary food source
but they are the breeding typem."

Green-tailed Towhee (Pipilo chlorurus) (2)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 06:44 by William Proebsting
- 44.43431_-121.85299, Linn, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.43431,-121.85299&ll=44.43431,-121.85299
- Comments: "In "chapparal" habitat of burn area on south approach to
Three-Fingered Jack. Rufous-cap, white throat with black malar stripes,
green back and gray breast. Accompanied, possibly by immature."

eBird Alerts provide recent reports of regionally or seasonally rare
species (Rarities Alerts) or species you have not yet observed (Needs
Alerts) in your region of interest; both Accepted and Unreviewed
observations are included. Some reports may be from private property or
inaccessible to the general public. It is the responsibility of every
eBirder to be aware of and respectful of access restrictions. For more
information, see our Terms of Use:
https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/terms-of-use/

Join us on Facebook!