Date: 7/21/20 8:21 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Song Sparrow behavior
Gerard.

I have seen Song Sparrows do this excited "both wings up" run along the
ground with a lot of cheeping when trying to distract me form a fledgling
nearby. They can be quite frantic.

Paul Sullivan

------------------------
Subject: Song Sparrow behavior
Date: Tue Jul 21 2020 18:01 pm
From: gerardlillie AT outlook.com

Hello All,

I observed behavior from a Song Sparrow that I have never seen before while
on a dog walk this morning. The broken wing behavior that Killdeer employ to
lure predators away from their nest or recently fledged chicks is well
known. This morning while walking

my puppy a Song Sparrow landed about five feet from us. My puppy lunged at
it and the sparrow lifted one wing and hobbled away from us. My puppy
couldn't resist and tried for it again (I stopped her, of course). The
sparrow then did the dislpay again lifting

both wings and ran further away looking like a drunken sailor (apologies to
sailors). When it felt the situation was secure it flew away. I have only
seen Killdeer do this and am wondering if anyone has seen Song Sparrows or
any other species besides Killdeer do this.

Good birding, Gerard

Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!