Date: 7/21/20 7:15 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jsw...>
Subject: [NHBirds] One very surprised sanderling
I went on Granite State Whale Watch's afternoon run today. Birds were
rather scarce -- scattered gulls, a few terns, a dozen or so Wilson's
Storm-petrels following the Eastman's boat Lady Merrilee II as she
headed home to Seabrook after a fishing trip. Then 'way down near
Rockport, we came across two humpback whales, identified as "Spoon"
and "Pinball," peacefully enjoying an afternoon snooze.

After we'd been drifting with them for a few minutes, a migrating
Sanderling happened by and tried to land on a large black rock. It
promptly got the surprise of its life when said "rock" turned out to
be Spoon. Both whales were startled awake, dived, and then gave us a
grand show in the form of several full-body breaches.

A very nice way to spend an afternoon!

-- Jon Woolf
Manchester, NH

--
To Change your e-mail delivery settings (digest, daily, no mail)
visit:

Join us on Facebook!