Date: 7/21/20 6:42 pm
From: <Craig...> <craig...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Song Sparrow behavior
I’ve seen Song Sparrows do this distraction display a number of times, most recently in response to a Red-spotted Garter Snake.

I’ve also Seen Orange-crowned Warblers, Kentucky Warblers, and other ground-nesting birds do similar distraction displays.

Craig Tumer
Portland

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 21, 2020, at 4:01 PM, Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie...> wrote:
>

> Hello All,
>
> I observed behavior from a Song Sparrow that I have never seen before while on a dog walk this morning. The broken wing behavior that Killdeer employ to lure predators away from their nest or recently fledged chicks is well known. This morning while walking my puppy a Song Sparrow landed about five feet from us. My puppy lunged at it and the sparrow lifted one wing and hobbled away from us. My puppy couldn't resist and tried for it again (I stopped her, of course). The sparrow then did the dislpay again lifting both wings and ran further away looking like a drunken sailor (apologies to sailors). When it felt the situation was secure it flew away. I have only seen Killdeer do this and am wondering if anyone has seen Song Sparrows or any other species besides Killdeer do this.
>
> Good birding, Gerard
>
> Gerard Lillie
> Portland, OR

Join us on Facebook!