Date: 7/21/20 6:33 pm
From: Howard West <howardoutwest...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Song Sparrow behavior
Common Nighthawk
.
I can't be the only person who has wandered close to a Nighthawk nest!

Back around the mid 1970's while fishing Gerber Reservoir for Crappie from
shore, I cut cross country to reach the road my car was on.
The Nighthawk was on the ground in rocky, mostly brushless land with a few
scattered juniper trees.
I can't remember if both parents were involved, but I was witness to a
display that would put Killdeers to shame.
While the visual display was pretty much the same as the best that
Killdeers offer, the audio display was just unbelievable!
Anyone who goes into good Nighthawk country in summer time that owns good
audio equipment must keep it ready to use!
This country also had many Common Poorwill that would be on the dirt roads
at night.

Gerber Reservoir is about 40 miles East of Klamath falls.

Howard West
Klamath Falls

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 4:25 PM Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...> wrote:

> https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/BirdObserver17.3_Page125-128_Distraction%20Displays%20or%20Injury%20Feigning%20in%20Birds_William%20E.%20Davis%20Jr..pdf
>
> I’ve seen it in Blue-winged Teal in an alfalfa field in Minnesota.
>
> <oschmidt...>
> Tuesday, July 21, 2020
>

> On Jul 21, 2020, at 4:00 PM, Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie...>
> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> I observed behavior from a Song Sparrow that I have never seen before
> while on a dog walk this morning. The broken wing behavior that Killdeer
> employ to lure predators away from their nest or recently fledged chicks is
> well known. This morning while walking my puppy a Song Sparrow landed about
> five feet from us. My puppy lunged at it and the sparrow lifted one wing
> and hobbled away from us. My puppy couldn't resist and tried for it again
> (I stopped her, of course). The sparrow then did the dislpay again lifting
> both wings and ran further away looking like a drunken sailor (apologies to
> sailors). When it felt the situation was secure it flew away. I have only
> seen Killdeer do this and am wondering if anyone has seen Song Sparrows or
> any other species besides Killdeer do this.
>
> Good birding, Gerard
>
> Gerard Lillie
> Portland, OR

Join us on Facebook!