Date: 7/21/20 5:24 pm
From: Pam Hunt <biodiva...>
Subject: [NHBirds] North Country birds July 19-21: PB Grebe, Boreal Chickadees, Tennessee Warblers, Sedge Wren, etc.

Greetings all,

Unity and I spent the last three days swinging through northern NH, staying Sun and Mon nights at Lake Francis SP in Pittsburg. Our species list topped 90, with the following highlights in chronological order:

Sunday:
Trudeau Road, Bethlehem: Tennessee Warbler, Rusty Blackbird, lots of the usual suspects
Fort Hill WMA, Stratford: Marsh Wren, Brown Thrasher, and two Pied-billed Grebes with FIVE YOUNG!! We got to see the babies both on mom's back and swimming around on their own.
Creampoke Road, Stewartstown: male Northern Harrier, Eastern Towhee (uncommon this far north)
Hurlbert Swamp, Stewartstown: another Tennessee Warbler, another towhee in the distance

Monday:
East Inlet: We drove ~9 miles out East Inlet Road, and found Boreal Chickadees in several places (14 birds in total!!!): four between miles 3 and 4, a family group of six around mile 6, and another four at a wetland near mile 8. Sadly, we failed to find any other boreal specialties here or at the next location.
Scott Bog Road: Three more Tennessee Warblers (a good summer for this species!), two Bay-breasted Warblers, and three more Boreal Chickadees
Scott Bog: female Ring-necked Duck with four small ducklings, two distant Rusty Blackbirds

Today (Tuesday):
We were planning/hoping to go up West Branch Clear Stream Road to the Dixville Peak turbine area, but found the gate closed (after almost missing the road). This is the second summer we've been stymied by this location - are we missing something about access here? More detail would be great, although I doubt we'll be trying again this year.
A couple of quick stops around Errol turned up relatively little as things were getting quiet.
So we opted to head home via Sandwich to try for the Sedge Wren that Becky Suomala reported Saturday evening. Despite it being late afternoon and a busy road, we heard the bird several times, and had the added bonus of a juvenile GB Heron still in its nest on the opposite side of Rt 25. No sign of the RN Ducks that have been here recently.

All in all a great bit of escape from the heat that was supposed to hit the south these last few days.

Pam Hunt and Unity Dienes
Concord