Date: 7/21/20 4:39 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: mystery mimic
What about a juvenile bird? They often sound enough like their parents to be recognizable, but so far from perfect as to raise doubts among humans. Quail are not averse to perching.  I know Mtn Quail always roost in trees for the night. And l discovered they also crow from the heart of a sapling's canopy close to its trunk .Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: marciafcutler <marciafcutler...> Date: 7/21/20 3:50 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <t4c1x...> Cc: obol <obol...> Subject: [obol] Re: mystery mimic I’m sure Darrel didn’t have a California Quail, but I have seen a CAQU on the top of an old apple tree (higher than the adjacent 2d floor apartment). It was around Christmas time and I thought “a quail in an apple tree”.Marcia F. CutlerOn Jul 21, 2020, at 1:59 PM, <t4c1x...> wrote:For about ten minutes this morning I heard some kind of bird imitating a California Quail here at Thornton Creek, Lincoln Co. It certainly was not a quail, because it was up in the trees, and it moved around over a fairly large area in a short time. I don't think it was a starling, either, because their mimic call sounds a lot like a real quail, and the rendition this bird was giving was a rather poor imitation. I never did catch up with whatever was making the call, and never did see it, so it remains a mystery.Darrel

Join us on Facebook!