Date: 7/21/20 4:29 pm
From: Beverly Ann LaBelle <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender beverly.labelle for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: mystery mimic
Has anyone ever heard a Bewick's Wren make the call or song peter peter peter? Are these wrens mimics?
I found it very strange. I love in N Portland and heard peter peter peter while walking my dog in early spring and in the last 2 weeks. This bird is foraging in the mature Elm trees that line my street. I was able to see that it was a Bewick's Wren.
Any thoughts?

Bev LaBelle
N Haight
Portland

On July 21, 2020, at 3:51 PM, marciafcutler <marciafcutler...> wrote:

I’m sure Darrel didn’t have a California Quail, but I have seen a CAQU on the top of an old apple tree (higher than the adjacent 2d floor apartment). It was around Christmas time and I thought “a quail in an apple tree”.

Marcia F. Cutler

On Jul 21, 2020, at 1:59 PM, <t4c1x...> wrote:

For about ten minutes this morning I heard some kind of bird imitating a California Quail here at Thornton Creek, Lincoln Co. It certainly was not a quail, because it was up in the trees, and it moved around over a fairly large area in a short time. I don't think it was a starling, either, because their mimic call sounds a lot like a real quail, and the rendition this bird was giving was a rather poor imitation. I never did catch up with whatever was making the call, and never did see it, so it remains a mystery.

Darrel

Join us on Facebook!