Date: 7/21/20 4:01 pm
From: Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie...>
Subject: [obol] Song Sparrow behavior
Hello All,

I observed behavior from a Song Sparrow that I have never seen before while on a dog walk this morning. The broken wing behavior that Killdeer employ to lure predators away from their nest or recently fledged chicks is well known. This morning while walking my puppy a Song Sparrow landed about five feet from us. My puppy lunged at it and the sparrow lifted one wing and hobbled away from us. My puppy couldn't resist and tried for it again (I stopped her, of course). The sparrow then did the dislpay again lifting both wings and ran further away looking like a drunken sailor (apologies to sailors). When it felt the situation was secure it flew away. I have only seen Killdeer do this and am wondering if anyone has seen Song Sparrows or any other species besides Killdeer do this.

Good birding, Gerard

Gerard Lillie
Portland, OR

Join us on Facebook!