Date: 7/21/20 11:38 am
From: Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Returning COP shorebirds
Rob beat me to the punch with posting!  I too was at Sand Beach & Coal Oil Point this morning between 7-9 a.m.  Low tide was -0.9 before dawn but there still was a lot of exposed wet sand for walking and for bird foraging.   My totals were similar to Rod's but I did cover more territory to the west as I walked all the way to the next point and back and didn't go east around Coal Oil Point to Isla Vista.  Here are some differences:
I had fewer Long-billed Curlews and Whimbrels, and no Yellowlegs, Black Turnstones, or Willet.  I had 40 Black-bellied Plovers in various stages of undress from breeding plumage.  I had about the same number of Western and Least Sandpipers, 25 or more Semi-Palmated Plovers, and at least a dozen Sanderlings ( nice to see some with Rusty heads and necks).  I missed the Caspian Tern but had at least 1 California Gull fly by. I too saw a Least Tern flying by, the first one I've seen at this location this summer.
Florence Sanchez
On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 09:17:16 AM PDT, Robert Lindsay <thisisroblindsay...> wrote:

7/21, 7:30-9:00 am

Walked the beach around COP from the west end of Isla Vista to well into the plover reserve and was pleasantly surprised by the number and diversity of shorebirds on the beach. Only have rough numbers for most species.
25 Long-billed Curlew
20 Whimbrel
3 Willet
1 Greater Yellowlegs
3 Black Turnstone
15 Black-bellied Plover
20 Semipalmated Plover
2 Sanderling
15 Western Sandpiper
10 Least Sandpiper
Many Snowy Plovers scattered all over the preserve area
Many Western Gull
15 Heerman's Gull (2 Juvenile)
1 Caspian Tern flying over
1 Least Tern (on the beach near where Devereaux Slough drains in winter)

The sand critters have had a couple of months to replenish their numbers so I suspect this area will be thick with shorebirds in a few weeks.

That's all,
Rob Lindsay

View/Reply Online (#30730): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/30730
-=-=-