Date: 7/21/20 10:56 am
From: Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...>
Subject: Loon at L. Hefner
As I was finishing my morning birding tour, the last sighting was the best.
About 159 - 200 yards off Prairie Dog Point was a Common Loon just lazily
floating.

I started at Rose Lake, found both egrets, GB Heron and seven(!!) LB
Herons,all in totally white juvenal plumage. On the power lines
were at least 35 Purple Martins and AW Pelicans are summering at Rose Lake,
I counted six. Other birds heard were Carolina Wren, N. Cardinal and an
Indigo Bunting. Along Sara Riad were many starlings, GT Grackles and
robins, I heard a Warbling Vireo, saw two SC Flycatchers and four Western
Kingbirds (2 adults, 2 fledglings) and heard some E. Meadowlarks.

Heading east on NW 50th was a singing Blue Grosbeak and two singing Bell's
Vireos before the Kilpatrick Overpass. Dickcissals are still singing hard,
must have heard >10 before getting to County Line Road. By the Trumpeter
Vines I found a female BT or RT Hummingbird, another Indigo Bunting and N.
Cardinal were singing and then observed Painted Buntings feeding two
fledglings.

At the Inlet Canal to L. Hefner was an AW Pelican and flushed a Green
Heron. Heard another Warbling Vireo. Found three YC Night Herons at Prairie
Dog Point, another GB Heron in the company of Mallards and the above
mentioned Loon. All this before 10 am!

Matt Jung, OKC

Join us on Facebook!