Date: 7/21/20 10:32 am
From: Susan Schaezler <susan...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: 7-21-20 Golden-cheeked Warbler @ Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary
This is why I asked Gil Eckrich to check the bird—I didn’t know I had the side image, my camera was having trouble focusing, but Gil has done this a long time and knows his Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-throated-green Warbler. I just want the identification to be right.

What is interesting is—I have had a Black-throated-green Warbler in July before and wouldn’t count wo photo and it is on the public record, so was vetted back then—here is 22 yrs of records.

Susan Schaezler
WarblerWoods.org, http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L213585?yr=cur
501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
Life member TOS, SAAS, TAS

> On Jul 21, 2020, at 11:38 AM, Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...> wrote:
>

> Susan,
>
> I'm pretty sure that you were correct with your initial ID. I would bet the farm on this being a first-fall female Golden-cheeked Warbler (GCWA). Although it's undoubtedly the toughest plumage to separate from Black-throated Green (BTNW), I feel that the dark, blackish-olive crown, blackish lores and near lack of yellow on the sides of the vent, along with the July date, all point toward Golden-cheeked over BTNW. The dark coloration on the auriculars may be more extensive than usual on young GCWA but I'm having a hard time judging whether it's a result of some yellow feathers missing or if the feathers are truly dark. Those who have more experience with the wide range of variation in GCWA plumage are encouraged to weigh in.
>
> Thanks for the photos and the challenge!
>
> Justin Bosler
> Austin, Texas
>
>> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 9:06 AM Susan Schaezler <susan...> wrote:
>> 7-21-20 Golden-cheeked Warbler @ Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary
>> Every day of birding brings more excitement
>>
>> <image.jpg>
>>

>> Susan Schaezler
>> WarblerWoods.org, http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L213585?yr=cur
>> 501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
>> Lone Star Land Steward Winner 2011. GCBO Site Partner
>> Life member TOS, SAAS, TAS

Join us on Facebook!