Date: 7/21/20 9:38 am
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: 7-21-20 Golden-cheeked Warbler @ Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary
Susan,

I'm pretty sure that you were correct with your initial ID. I would bet the
farm on this being a first-fall female Golden-cheeked Warbler (GCWA).
Although it's undoubtedly the toughest plumage to separate from
Black-throated Green (BTNW), I feel that the dark, blackish-olive crown,
blackish lores and near lack of yellow on the sides of the vent, along with
the July date, all point toward Golden-cheeked over BTNW. The
dark coloration on the auriculars may be more extensive than usual on young
GCWA but I'm having a hard time judging whether it's a result of some
yellow feathers missing or if the feathers are truly dark. Those who have
more experience with the wide range of variation in GCWA plumage are
encouraged to weigh in.

Thanks for the photos and the challenge!

Justin Bosler
Austin, Texas

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 9:06 AM Susan Schaezler <susan...> wrote:

> 7-21-20 Golden-cheeked Warbler @ Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary
> Every day of birding brings more excitement
>

> Susan Schaezler
> WarblerWoods.org, http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L213585?yr=cur
> 501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
> Lone Star Land Steward Winner 2011. GCBO Site Partner
> Life member TOS, SAAS, TAS

Join us on Facebook!