Date: 7/21/20 3:04 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Not too Swift - A Minisaga (kinda long)
Not Too Swift, The Sequel:
The Previous happened Tuesday, July 16, The next day there was twittering
in the chimney. a good sign that the released young'uns were back in the
chimney.
The following day, Thursday I went to take my usual post-lunch power(?)
nap. I went to sleep to the sound of twittering, feeding swifts coming
from the nearby fireplace. When I awoke 30 minutes later, the house was
silent, save for the faint flutter of swift wings in the
dining room. This guy flew into an adjacent room when I caught it, in a
fluttering position, at a window. See attached images
I figured that by now they knew the lay of the land and released it on the
driveway.

Nap time, the next day, Friday; but although I laid down on the couch by
the fireplace, I wasn't sleepy. Twittering for a while, then
flutter-flutter-thud.
This was getting out of hand. Released the 5th interloper on the
driveway. But what was going on??? Some of these had to be re-releases.
I finally got smart and went up on the hill behind the house where I had a
good view of the chimney. After about 10 minutes I saw the familiar Kama
Kazi, vertical dive of a swift into the Chimney. Was this an adult for
feeding or the baby I had released a few minutes ago. Time would tell. I
knew from experience that a feeding parent would re-emerge after 2-3
minutes. Nothing emerged. So, it seems that this was the one I had just
released.

I went into the house telling my wife the ongoing situation. She said
"I'll just leave the front door open so you don't have to be involved."
But, when I went into the house and listened, no more twittering(?) and
that was it for the season.
So much fun I think I'll hold off on the plywood platform below the nest
for another year. And take better notes next year.
So it seems one thing was learned. Even after achieving flying abilities
and experiencing the wider world aloft, the young swifts spend several days
returning to the nest. And being fed there by the parents.

Bob OBrien Carver OR

Join us on Facebook!