Date: 7/20/20 4:28 pm
From: Preston Lust via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Migration in July
7/20/20, 7:15 PM, Yard, Westport, CT

This summer’s early shorebird migration, probably due to breeding failure brought on by extremely high temperatures in the Arctic, is surely evident in many of the state’s coastal sites. But one would do well to bear in mind the early movement of migrant passerines as well. This afternoon, I had an early Louisiana waterthrush in my yard, which is almost certainly a migrant given the lack of breeding records (to my knowledge) in Westport. One of the earlier migrants, Louisiana waterthrushes will likely be clearing out in larger numbers towards early August. Blackbirds, swallows, and other passerines exhibit considerable movement in late July as well.

Migration is truly an all-year-round phenomenon. It’s exciting to bear this in mind in the typical breeding months!

Preston Lust, Westport

Envoyé de mon iPhone