Date: 7/20/20 3:22 pm
From: janna pauser <jannapauser...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Oak Meadow Park in Los Gatos
I wasn't expecting much arriving after 10 am at Oak Meadow this morning.
Starting at the east entrance I heard BROWN CREEPERS, my first of
several WESTERN TANAGERS and six BLACK HEADED GROSBEAK, no males. An
ORANGE CROWNED WARBLER, 2 PACIFIC SLOPE FLYCATCHER, 3 WHITE BREASTED
NUTHATCH and two PURPLE FINCH were seen in this small park adjoining
Vasona Park. Many family groups were here; BULLOCKS ORIOLE male, female
and fledgling and a dozen HOODED ORIOLES. A HAIRY WOODPECKER adult male
with brown markings fed a fledgling. Nearby an adult and begging DOWNY
WOODPECKER were seen. A NUTTALL'S family group, WESTERN BLUEBIRDS and
five STELLER'S JAY'S were also seen here.

I walked around Vasona which was quiet in comparison, finding a few more
tanagers, grosbeaks, bluebirds, HOODED ORIOLES and a PACIFIC SLOPE
FLYCATCHER.  I recognized the loud raspy call of a begging ACORN
WOODPECKER and found one fed by an adult in a tree near the boat rental
parking lot.  A CASPIAN TERN flew over the lake. TREE SWALLOW nestlings
were begging from a nest box portal but I saw only one adult in the area.

Many of the plants that grew along the creek and attracted migrants have
been destroyed with herbicides, their blackened remains very
unattractive. Hopefully we'll find the warblers in the willows this fall.

Janna Pauser
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#22054): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22054
-=-=-