Date: 7/20/20 12:39 pm
From: Brooke Miller via groups.io <idbirds=<me.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes - Spreckels Pond, and 41 Brown Pelicans - Mon Jul 20
All,

I stopped by the Spreckels Pond in Alviso this morning at around 11 am. I only saw a few Black-necked Stilts from the pull-off just before the Grand Avenue entrance road to the EEC. So, I drove up Spreckels, past State Street and parked across the street from the Spreckels Sanitary sign. From there I could see, through my scope, at least 150 swimming RED-NECKED PHALAROPES and 47 resting WILSON’S PHALAROPES. The Red-necked’s quickly moved away from me when I got out of the car to set up the scope.

Earlier, around 9:30, at Salt Pond A4 at the Sunnyvale WPCP, there was a huge ‘flock’ of 41 BROWN PELICANS flying together in circles in the sky. I think that is the most I’ve ever seen in the county, all at once, and altogether.

The lighting was stark, but here is a photo of 23 of them:

Good birding!
Brooke Miller
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#22053): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22053