Date: 7/20/20 11:33 am
From: Paul Cianfaglione via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Birds and mushrooms
Bob, that's a great question and observation! Little is known about this
behavior, but jays are some of the few species that partake in this type of
behavior. As someone who actively seeks out mushrooms (like right now!) to
photograph, I have witnessed it just once (last year) by a Hairy
Woodpecker. Now, I have to consider a bird, not just a squirrel, as the
culprit of a half-eaten mushroom! Check out Fungivore on Wikipedia for more
info.