Date: 7/20/20 4:01 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Ross's Goose (1 Harney)
Common Goldeneye (2 Crook)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1 Curry)
Green Heron (1 Hood River)
Red-eyed Vireo (1 Polk)
Horned Lark (2 Lane)
Swainson's Thrush (Russet-backed) (1 Marion)
Hermit Thrush (5 Polk)
Hermit Thrush (guttatus Group) (1 Marion)
Evening Grosbeak (type 1) (1 Polk)
Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (1 Marion, 6 Polk)
Red Crossbill (Douglas-fir or type 4) (1 Lane, 1 Polk)
Brewer's Sparrow (2 Jackson)
Black-throated Sparrow (1 Deschutes)
Fox Sparrow (Thick-billed) (2 Lane)
Fox Sparrow (1 Multnomah)
Vesper Sparrow (2 Lane)
Indigo Bunting (1 Harney)

Ross's Goose (Anser rossii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 08:42 by Rick Vetter
- Hotchkiss Ln.--WTP Ponds (restricted access), Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.5551186,-119.0707684&ll=43.5551186,-119.0707684
- Comments: "Continues. Smaller than snow goose with a short stubby bill."

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (4)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 15:05 by Torrey Gage-Tomlinson
- Prineville Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3067524,-120.8712494&ll=44.3067524,-120.8712494
- Comments: "Continuing bird. All black bills."

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (4)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 15:05 by Forest Tomlinson
- Prineville Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Crook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3067524,-120.8712494&ll=44.3067524,-120.8712494
- Comments: "Continuing bird. All black bills."

Semipalmated Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 16:04 by Gerry Meenaghan
- Pistol River SP, Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.2754882,-124.4052315&ll=42.2754882,-124.4052315
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Associating with group of eight adult western sandpipers and
one least sandpiper for easier comparison and ID. Black legs. Shorter,
straighter bill. Lack of spotting on chest like WESA; instead a dingy
watercolor brown bib to white underparts. Generally duller, lacking rufous
patches of WESA. Dark cap and cheeks, lighter around eye and supercilium.
Pics."

Green Heron (Butorides virescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 07:06 by john bishop
- Hood River mouth, Hood River, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.7152892,-121.5063858&ll=45.7152892,-121.5063858
- Comments: "Small heron, green legs, reddish brown neck and flanks
streaked w white darker back; flushed from bushes at north end of tree line
on spit; also gave alarm croak"

Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 15:54 by Tim Shelmerdine
- Luckiamute SNA North unit (general), Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.7413686,-123.1395721&ll=44.7413686,-123.1395721
- Comments: "Surprised that the filter is set at zero for a species known
to breed in the cottonwoods along the Willamette and lower Columbia Rivers
and some tributaries. Seen in cottonwoods almost to the river boaters area.
Whitish below, greenish above, black line through eye, prominent whitish
supercilium, black line above that, dark crown (looking from underneath
could not describe tint. Heavy bill."

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 06:30 by Nancy Clogston
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing. High tinkling song."

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 06:30 by Vjera Thompson
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Continuing. High tinkling song."

Swainson's Thrush (Russet-backed) (Catharus ustulatus [ustulatus Group]) (6)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 15:51 by Asher Perla
- South Breitenbush Gorge Trail, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.772241,-121.952319&ll=44.772241,-121.952319
- Comments: "Expected"

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 12:15 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Camp Creek Rd 7-7-8.2 x Camp Creek source west (1660 ft.), Polk,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.969794,-123.578082&ll=44.969794,-123.578082
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: ho s , heard well by both of us.
made recording of downward sadsweet song w single long introductory note.
(1660 ft.)

Note: We began this Polk co. explore trip past couple days, with thought
that HETH would be rare up here, (is what we have been taught by some other
birders).
— Philip K had one singing in Polk co. coast range couple weeks ago, which
was so awesome, so we were hoping to find a HETH too.
And, ... we found a dozen of them singing! and recorded songs for ~ 4 of
them.

Note: on ebird, for this area from Buell on Gooseneck Rd to Gooseneck Creek
and also Dorn Peak Rd, there are 9 prev. ebird records of HETH, 8 of which
are late June records, (7 of which are Doug R’s). So, HETH are here. And,
given we must have found a dozen HETH in last 24-hr, cool that we doubled
the number of ebird pins!

[also we were surprised to find so many VATH and PSFL ! and density of
BTPI. And so many RECR this year ! will be tedious to edit and upload our
55 recordings we made of crossbills! ]"

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 12:02 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Camp Creek Rd 7-7-8.2 x HFM yellow gate (44.97372, -123.57093) (1980
ft.), Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.973717,-123.570933&ll=44.973717,-123.570933
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: ho s : made recording of song and vree
call : 1-2 singing birds plus 1-2 calling vrees, so at least 2 total birds
here, 1 calling vree at same time as another singing. — (1980 ft. elev) —
Note: we have now found a dozen HETH in less than 24-hr in Polk co. coast
range, so prob shouldn’t be flagged as Rare anymore? ... — “You know what
Courtney? Almost as interesting as the ridiculous abundance of HE and VA
thrushes, has been the absolute total absence of Hammonds FL.” — “We
haven’t had any flycatchers besides Pacific slope. We haven’t had pewees.
We did have 2 OSFL. No phoebes.” — “Black Phoebe rarely occurs in the coast
range.” — “But you also said Hermit Thrush rarely occurs.”"

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 08:33 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gold Creek Access Rd--pawr st. 05.01 (44.9854,-123.5756) (1560 ft.),
Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.985387,-123.575594&ll=44.985387,-123.575594
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: Courtney ho s distant . — downward
sadsweet song w single long introductory note.
(1560 ft.)

Note: We began this Polk co. old-growth (not so much ... only a few tiny
patches left of) coast range explore trip past couple days, with thought
that HETH would be rare up here, (is what we have been taught by some other
birders).
— Philip K had one singing in Polk co. coast range couple weeks ago, which
was so awesome, so we were hoping to find a HETH too.
And, ... we found a dozen of them singing! and recorded songs for ~ 4 of
them.

Note: on ebird, for this area from Buell on Gooseneck Rd to Gooseneck Creek
and also Dorn Peak Rd, there are 9 prev. ebird records of HETH, 8 of which
are late June records, (7 of which are Doug R’s). So, HETH are here. And,
given we must have found a dozen HETH in last 24-hr, cool that we doubled
the number of ebird pins!

[also we were surprised to find so many VATH and PSFL ! and density of
BTPI. And so many RECR this year ! will be tedious to edit and upload our
55 recordings we made of crossbills! ]

Lars: There is more true highlands in Polk County than the rest of the
Coast Range combined. It has received no birding effort at all. When my
family tried to go huckleberry picking there in July of 1963 we were
thwarted by locked gates. When l tried to return in December of 1992 to
pick black trumpets(a kind of chanterelle abundant in Menodcino Co CA but
rare in OR) we were thwarted by locked gates. HETH is the default species
on parts of Mary's Peak.
When working on a Christmas tree plantation off Decker Road (up Beaver
Creek) in Corvallis/Philomath in June 1978 l heard HETH singing. It was
very tall Douglas-fir, pretty dry site. Sort of like the habitat l found
them in the Warner Mountains. It's possible the HETH near the summit of
Mary's Peak are are different subspecies than those down lower. "

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 20:14 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gooseneck Rd--pawr st. 04.02 (44.98992, -123.54604) (1640 ft.),
Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.989921,-123.546041&ll=44.989921,-123.546041
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: Courtney ho s distance, heard song half
dozen times, distant so poorly heard, esp among other thrush songs, but I
do think so, downward sadsweet song w single long introductory note. — and
we had 2 others just in this area nearby heard by both of us and 1 recorded.
(1640 ft.)

[...]

- Reported Jul 18, 2020 05:35 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—ridge between Gold Creek and Gooseneck Creek--campsite off Gooseneck
Rd (44.9905,-123.5503) (2100 ft.), Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.990526,-123.550327&ll=44.990526,-123.550327
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: ho s , heard well by both of us. (2100
ft.)

Note: We began this Polk co. explore trip past couple days, with thought
that HETH would be rare up here, (is what we have been taught by some other
birders).
— Philip K had one singing in Polk co. coast range couple weeks ago, which
was so awesome, so we were hoping to find a HETH too.
And, ... we found a dozen of them singing! and recorded songs for ~ 4 of
them.

Note: on ebird, for this area from Buell on Gooseneck Rd to Gooseneck Creek
and also Dorn Peak Rd, there are 9 prev. ebird records of HETH, 8 of which
are late June records, (7 of which are Doug R’s). There is a record of HETH
exactly at our pin. So, HETH are here. And, given we must have found a
dozen HETH in last 24-hr, cool that we doubled the number of ebird pins!

[also we were surprised to find so many VATH and PSFL ! and density of
BTPI. And so many RECR this year ! will be tedious to edit and upload our
55 recordings we made of crossbills! ]"

Hermit Thrush (guttatus Group) (Catharus guttatus [guttatus Group]) (2)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 15:51 by Asher Perla
- South Breitenbush Gorge Trail, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.772241,-121.952319&ll=44.772241,-121.952319
- Comments: "Expected ssp."

Evening Grosbeak (type 1) (Coccothraustes vespertinus (type 1)) (2)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 09:10 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gold Creek Access Rd--bswr lost in rhododendrons (44.98558,
-123.57728) (1300 ft.), Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.985578,-123.577284&ll=44.985578,-123.577284
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "made recording of

Caleb studied online and ID’s our recording as type-1, which if Reviewer
agrees, makes this our first type 1 identified record on ebird!

Note: Caleb says he read that type 1 is “the only expected call type for
Oregon except for maybe southern Oregon”"

Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (Loxia curvirostra (type 3)) (4)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 19:25 by Asher Perla
- Breitenbush Campground, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.7800258,-121.9936293&ll=44.7800258,-121.9936293
- Comments: "Heard only."

Red Crossbill (Douglas-fir or type 4) (Loxia curvirostra (type 4)) (1)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 06:02 by Rich Hoyer
- Calliope Corner, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.091925,-123.1374&ll=44.091925,-123.1374
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "V- or check mark-shaped flight call"

Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (Loxia curvirostra (type 3)) (12)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 07:40 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gold Creek Access Rd (44.99675, -123.57521) RECR-3 eating western
hemlock cones (1560 ft.), Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.996746,-123.575215&ll=44.996746,-123.575215
- Media: 4 Audio
- Comments: "made great recordings of! singing and foraging in both Douglas
fir cones (closed youngish cones, light tan) and W. hemlock cones (open
brown). — Young open mixed forest of Douglasfir and Western Hemlock with
some big leaf maples. cone crop five on both trees, but Douglasfir has
slightly less cones. mix of green new and brown old cones on both tree
species. crossbills observed foraging for extended period of time in both
tree species, although not specifically observed foraging in Douglas firs
[though they were up there with cones and horizontal like eating cones, but
didn’t see them opening their bills and eating of the cones]. observed
foraging on green new western hemlock cones, [saw 2 eating them]. — Caleb
thinks sound like type 3: we will check sonograms to confirm"

Red Crossbill (Douglas-fir or type 4) (Loxia curvirostra (type 4)) (1)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 08:06 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gold Creek Access Rd x Camp Creek Rd (1610 ft.), Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.994308,-123.577945&ll=44.994308,-123.577945
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "“hashtag Lifer” — short recording of single flyover bird, we
thought it might be different in the field from the others,

need to have Expert check it out to confirm,

but after some beginning internet sonogram/media study, Caleb thinks this
one is type 4,
which makes this recording our first identified type-4 lifer crossbill !

which means we now have recordings on ebird of all the typical / frequent
expected types in Oregon except for the irruptive/rare ones,
(we have Oregon recordings of types 2, 3, 4, 5, 10)
cool !"

Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (Loxia curvirostra (type 3)) (15)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 08:06 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gold Creek Access Rd x Camp Creek Rd (1610 ft.), Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.994308,-123.577945&ll=44.994308,-123.577945
- Media: 3 Audio
- Comments: "recording of 1 RECR [re-logged as type 4],

then recording of ~ 10 RECR [Caleb studied sonograph and says they are type
3]: this second group landed in Douglas firs. , (flying with siskins):

“the one calling now is sitting in a Douglas fir.”
— “the others seem to have flown into Douglas firs. Some of the Douglas
firs up there have pretty closed young cones. This one I can’t really tell,
those cones might be slightly open.”
— “Yeah.”

then recording of 2 more (and another few same vocals) perched on top of
Doug fir with young closed greenish cones:

— “This one landed in Doug fir.”
— “in a doug fir with many closed green cones at the top. Bird appears to
have smallish bill but I can’t tell anything else.”
— “flying off”
— “to the top of another Douglas fir.”
— “sitting on top of the Douglas firs, not eating cones.”
— “they’re doing some song-y things”,

at this point in recording, when fly off to other near tree tops,
doing burry jips , among other type-3 calls,
is this just part of type 3 song, or are these jips flight calls of a third
type of crossbill here?
among flight calls, doing burrier jipjipjips too, Caleb says on sonograph
the burry jips don’t match any RECR type flight calls, so the burry note is
a song element.

— “The crossbills that are sitting calling in the top of the trees seem to
show a preference — never mind, I was just proven wrong — “
— “what were you going to say?”
— “I was going to say they show a preference for trees that have a lot of
new cone crop in them.”
— “it’s still sitting in a Douglasfir, though there’s only one cone,”
— “there’s no new cone crop [in that particular tree we are disucssing].
it’s still an association with Douglas fir.”

— Add a couple more to same type we have been recording on all. Maybe only
first recording of one, poss a different type. [yes Caleb thinks type 4,
for that single bird]"

Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (Loxia curvirostra (type 3)) (4)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 08:33 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gold Creek Access Rd--pawr st. 05.01 (44.9854,-123.5756) (1560 ft.),
Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.985387,-123.575594&ll=44.985387,-123.575594
- Media: 2 Audio
- Comments: "Made recording of s :

1 seen singing from the snag top of an older Douglasfir with only a few
brown cones with bracts open, cone crop score 2. ;

another recording of flyover .

Caleb IDs sonograms as type 3, based on flight call notes of shorter
recording.
The longer recording is RECR singing, not sure if experts can ID song to
type yet? Caleb doesn’t see anything on song graph to indicate a different
type, and they sounded like prob all same type in field at this spot.

Nb : these are Western Hemlock type perched singing in Douglas-fir cones.

Matt Young confirms recordings as type 3."

Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (Loxia curvirostra (type 3)) (6)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 10:06 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gold Creek Access Rd--pawr st. 07.02 (44.98113, -123.58057), Polk,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.981131,-123.580566&ll=44.981131,-123.580566
- Media: 2 Audio
- Comments: "made recording of

Caleb ID’s recordings as type 3.
One recording has nice clear print of type 3 in middle of it.
The other is too faint to see graph and be sure, but Caleb says it sounds
like 3"

Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (Loxia curvirostra (type 3)) (4)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 19:50 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gooseneck Rd--pawr st. 04.01 (44.98650, -123.54571) (1620 ft.),
Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.986504,-123.545712&ll=44.986504,-123.545712
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "made recording of flyover 4, Caleb suspects type 3, Courtney
thinks the ones we’ve had all day and have been loosely calling “like type
5” which might be 4’s : — caleb says these “sounded like a plik” — Courtney
thought “bouncy” ... ... type study to do

Caleb: I think these are 3s based on sonogram shape and sound. Will confirm
with Matt Young."

Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (Loxia curvirostra (type 3)) (8)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 20:14 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gooseneck Rd--pawr st. 04.02 (44.98992, -123.54604) (1640 ft.),
Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.989921,-123.546041&ll=44.989921,-123.546041
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "recording

Caleb studied online and listened to recordings, and ID’s this recording as
type 3. We will double check with an expert, and then celebrate our first
type-3 identified recording for Oregon!

Update: Matt Young confirms these as type 3."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 08:00 by Forrest English
- National Forest Development Road 20, Ashland, Oregon, US (42.078,
-122.747), Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.0782259,-122.7471065&ll=42.0782259,-122.7471065
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Photos, expected in this habitat and location."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 14:34 by Janet Kelly
- Siskiyou NF-Road 20, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.0759059,-122.7490503&ll=42.0759059,-122.7490503
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Pin is exact. Heard one sing. Got decent photos this time."

Black-throated Sparrow (Amphispiza bilineata) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 10:46 by Cindy Zalunardo
- Smith Rock SP, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3669375,-121.1371851&ll=44.3669375,-121.1371851
- Comments: "Burma Road. Last left bend before topping out. Atop small
juniper tree with mouth full of bugs. Dark crown, white supercilium, black
lores, white malar, black bib, pale breast. Second bird later also with
bugs flew into lone sagebrush on steep slope above trail. No song or call
from either bird."

Fox Sparrow (Thick-billed) (Passerella iliaca [megarhyncha Group]) (10)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 06:30 by Sally Hill
- FS 2135 & FS 415 junction, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.549893,-122.321396&ll=43.549893,-122.321396
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Large gray bill. Photos."

Fox Sparrow (Thick-billed) (Passerella iliaca [megarhyncha Group]) (10)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 06:30 by Vickie Buck
- FS 2135 & FS 415 junction, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.549893,-122.321396&ll=43.549893,-122.321396
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Large gray bill. Photos."

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 11:25 by Kevin Scaldeferri
- Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.4776166,-122.6553154&ll=45.4776166,-122.6553154
- Comments: "Underside more blotchy than streaky. Rufous wings and tail"

Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 09:08 by Kelli Van Norman
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Streaked back, white eyering, when it flew had tail flash of
white. Large white malar stripe, white area no throat, streaky breast clear
belly, head and Bill shape more like a grasshopper than song. Seen near
path almost at Royal ave parking area. No pics, I was too slow."

Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus) (1)
- Reported Jul 19, 2020 09:08 by Jack Maynard
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Streaked back, white eyering, when it flew had tail flash of
white. Large white malar stripe, white area no throat, streaky breast clear
belly, head and Bill shape more like a grasshopper than song. Seen near
path almost at Royal ave parking area. No pics, I was too slow."

Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) (1)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 11:10 by Noah Strycker
- Pike Creek, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.5911684,-118.5632515&ll=42.5911684,-118.5632515
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Adult male singing loud and steadily at midday, apparently
territorial between two Lazuli territories along the creek. The bird was
perching in the tops of cottonwood trees in the area just downstream of the
first cliffs framing the canyon entrance. From the trailhead, follow the
trail as it crosses the creek and starts climbing up the old roadbed on the
south side of the creek for a couple hundred yards; from here you’re
looking down on the riparian area, just below the hiker check-in box. **A
note on access: You can either park on the main East Steens road next to
the Pike Creek Canyon trail sign and walk up the BLM access road (1/2 mile
to the canyon entrance) for free, or stop at Alvord Hot Springs (2 miles
south) and pay $5 for the combination to the gate on a new, parallel road
up to the canyon entrance/trailhead. The ranchers have recently blocked all
parking along the BLM road to force people not to drive it, but it is an
easy walk."

eBird Alerts provide recent reports of regionally or seasonally rare
species (Rarities Alerts) or species you have not yet observed (Needs
Alerts) in your region of interest; both Accepted and Unreviewed
observations are included. Some reports may be from private property or
inaccessible to the general public. It is the responsibility of every
eBirder to be aware of and respectful of access restrictions. For more
information, see our Terms of Use:
https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/terms-of-use/

Join us on Facebook!