Date: 7/19/20 12:28 pm
From: Eve Meier <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Palo Alto Baylands Boardwalk and Duck Pond Loop Trail
Hi Everyone,

This morning I headed out to Palo Alto Baylands to scout out the location
for a SCVAS wheelchair accessible self-guided Sept birding trip. I started
with the wooden boardwalk that's behind the temporarily closed Lucy Evans
Nature Center. While walking out towards the bay, I scanned the Harriet
Mundy Marsh on the right and found several GREATER YELLOW LEGS along with
one LESSER YELLOWLEGS. A little over halfway down the boardwalk there is a
small channel that cuts through the pickleweed. This is "Rail Alley" and
sure enough one RIDGWAY RAIL was preening and foraging in the channel.

Next, I walked the 1/2 mile duck pond trail to scan the slough for
shorebirds. The tide was out and the mudflat were exposed. The usual
LONG-BILLED CURLEWS, one WHIMBREL, MARBLED GODWITS, WILLETS, AMERICAN
AVOCETS and a couple of SEMI-PALMATED PLOVERS were present.

As Steve Tucker mentioned, all the parking lots were open. The visitor
center is closed but there are two porta-potties open - one at the duck
pond and one ADA compliant facility at the sailing station parking lot.
The park was *not* crowded so social distancing was easy.

Boardwalk: https://ebird.org/checklist/S71637049
Duck Pond Loop Trail: https://ebird.org/checklist/S71638268

Eve Meier (San Jose)

View/Reply Online (#22048): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22048