Date: 7/19/20 3:42 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Common Goldeneye (1 Gilliam, 1 Jefferson)
Common Merganser (North American) (1 Multnomah)
Clark's Grebe (1 Lincoln)
Black Swift (4 Lane)
Ancient Murrelet (1 Lincoln)
Mew Gull (1 Lincoln)
Snowy Egret (1 Baker, 1 Multnomah)
Barred Owl (1 Wheeler)
Red-naped Sapsucker (1 Deschutes)
Eastern Kingbird (1 Jefferson)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1 Deschutes)
Hermit Thrush (3 Polk)
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (1 Linn)
Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (1 Baker, 1 Jackson)
Black-throated Sparrow (2 Deschutes)
Lincoln's Sparrow (1 Lane)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) (2 Gilliam)

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:23 by Joshua Meyers
- Condon Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Gilliam, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2275954,-120.17736&ll=45.2275954,-120.17736
- Comments: "Male still hanging around."

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (1)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 10:18 by Cash Lowe
- Dark Lake, Jefferson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.405915,-121.755323&ll=44.405915,-121.755323
- Comments: "Female with golden eye (so not a juvenile) and almost
completely black bill."

Common Merganser (North American) (Mergus merganser americanus) (5)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 07:12 by Craig Vattiat
- Broughton Beach, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6003622,-122.6152539&ll=45.6003622,-122.6152539
- Comments: "Dark brown head, clear gray back, clean cut line between back
and neck."

Clark's Grebe (Aechmophorus clarkii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:57 by Rachel Holzman
- Quarry Cove—Yaquina Head, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.67317,-124.072425&ll=44.67317,-124.072425
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Brighter yellow bill than nearby Westerns. White observed
above the eye. Possible photo"

Black Swift (Cypseloides niger) (2)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 20:27 by Alex Lamoreaux
- Salt Creek Falls, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.61179,-122.12861&ll=43.61179,-122.12861
- Comments: "Pair chasing each other around and seen well throughout our
visit. Known nesting site. Photos."

Black Swift (Cypseloides niger) (2)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 20:27 by Lauren diBiccari
- Salt Creek Falls, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.61179,-122.12861&ll=43.61179,-122.12861
- Comments: "Pair chasing each other around and seen well throughout our
visit. Known nesting site. Photos."

Black Swift (Cypseloides niger) (2)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 18:26 by Jack Maynard
- Salt Creek Falls, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.61179,-122.12861&ll=43.61179,-122.12861
- Comments: "Several good looks flying around the valley. 8:33-8:38 pm.
Didn’t see them go under waterfall. Again saw both very distant at 8:44 and
heading away from waterfall."

Black Swift (Cypseloides niger) (2)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 18:26 by Kelli Van Norman
- Salt Creek Falls, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.61179,-122.12861&ll=43.61179,-122.12861
- Comments: "Several good looks flying around the valley. 8:33-8:38 pm.
Didn’t see them go under waterfall. Again saw both very distant at 8:44 and
heading away from waterfall."

Ancient Murrelet (Synthliboramphus antiquus) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:57 by Rachel Holzman
- Quarry Cove—Yaquina Head, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.67317,-124.072425&ll=44.67317,-124.072425
- Media: 10 Photos
- Comments: "Photo to be uploaded."

Mew Gull (Larus canus) (3)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 09:03 by Jill Oertley
- Tara Lane Sherwood Lane And Beach, Waldport, Oregon, US (44.416,
-124.083), Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.4156056,-124.08323&ll=44.4156056,-124.08323
- Comments: "Small gulls, smudgy heads, brown in tail and other plumage"

Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) (1)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 08:17 by Sean Cozart
- Farewell Bend SP, Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3059155,-117.2263527&ll=44.3059155,-117.2263527
- Comments: "#227 year bird. Continuing individual but unreported on ebird.
Originally spotted Wednesday by my dad, who did not report it here. So we
came out today to see it and add it to my year list. Adult with obvious
black legs and yellow legs. Significantly smaller than GREG. I had one here
last September."

Snowy Egret (Egretta thula) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 06:55 by Ken Vanderkamp
- Smith and Bybee Lakes Wetlands Natural Area, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.6203,-122.7456&ll=45.6203,-122.7456
- Comments: "I saw it at the small middle lake, but eventually it flew
off. Smaller than great egret; smaller black bill,
yellow feet."

Barred Owl (Strix varia) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 00:00 by Joshua Meyers
- Ochoco National Forest, Mitchell US-OR 44.48399, -120.33187, Wheeler,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.483987,-120.331871&ll=44.483987,-120.331871
- Comments: "H/O cooks for you” call. Reported one here about 3 months ago
in same area"

Red-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis) (1)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 07:55 by Kris Kristovich
- Willow Springs Preserve (restricted access), Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3131927,-121.5107568&ll=44.3131927,-121.5107568

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 16, 2020 11:33 by Joshua Meyers
- Little Willow Creek Reservoir, Jefferson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.6286855,-120.8700371&ll=44.6286855,-120.8700371
- Comments: "Well seen, close proximity. Dark back and cap, white
underside and terminal band."

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) (1)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 08:40 by Mark Gonzalez
- Smith Rock SP, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3669375,-121.1371851&ll=44.3669375,-121.1371851
- Comments: "No visual observation. Heard distinct "speuuw-speuuw" call
repeatedly from appropriate habitat (gray alder/coyote willow community)."

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 19:59 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gooseneck Rd x Gooseneck Creek source west (yellow marker 6.5) (1590
ft.), Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.987859,-123.550068&ll=44.987859,-123.550068
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: ho s , heard well by both of us, we
agree : downward sadsweet song w single long introductory note. (1590 ft.
Elev.)

Note: We began this Polk co. explore trip past couple days, with thought
that HETH would be rare up here, (is what we have been taught by some other
birders).
— Philip K had one singing in Polk co. coast range couple weeks ago, which
was so awesome, so we were hoping to find a HETH too.
And, ... we found a dozen of them singing! and recorded songs for ~ 4 of
them.

Note: on ebird, for this area from Buell on Gooseneck Rd to Gooseneck Creek
and also Dorn Peak Rd, there are 9 prev. ebird records of HETH, 8 of which
are late June records, (7 of which are Doug R’s). So, HETH are here. And,
given we must have found a dozen HETH in last 24-hr, cool that we doubled
the number of ebird pins!

[also we were surprised to find so many VATH and PSFL ! and density of
BTPI. And so many RECR this year ! will be tedious to edit and upload our
55 recordings we made of crossbills! ]"

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 19:23 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—Gooseneck Rd--pawr st. 03.02 (BLM stake 3.5)(44.99211, -123.52838),
Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.992107,-123.528379&ll=44.992107,-123.528379
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: nice pick out of distant song by bini! —
drove up closer to it near stream after this point, and made audio
recording of its (still distant) song, ho well. : downward sadsweet song w
[...]

Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 20:38 by Caleb Centanni
- Polk—ridge between Gold Creek and Gooseneck Creek--campsite off Gooseneck
Rd (44.9905,-123.5503) (2100 ft.), Polk, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.990526,-123.550327&ll=44.990526,-123.550327
- Comments: "(Rare): “unreported”: ho s, heard by both of us. Downward
thrush song, slightly melancholy tone, — (fitting, given Caleb is sad I
requested he eat some “of the same bland bread and cheese” for dinner
instead of more of all of the coconut-chocolate trail mix (he ate half
before bread, while I ate bread, not fair!) without me). — Our 4th HETH
today along Gooseneck Creek! (Made recording of an earlier’s song.) —
Philip K had one singing in Polk co. coast range couple weeks ago, so we
were hoping to find one too, and are happy to go to sleep now with one (a
little faint, lower slope) tonight, after beautiful pink purple purply
grayviolet sunset. (Will we wake later and get to see comet?)"

Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (Leucosticte tephrocotis) (2)
- Reported Jul 14, 2020 13:00 by Bill Dwyer
- Mt Jefferson, Linn, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.6675101,-121.8086234&ll=44.6675101,-121.8086234
- Comments: "Pair came in to check me out while climbing down from summit,
8,500' elevation"

Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (Loxia curvirostra (type 2)) (11)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 08:15 by Alec Hopping
- FSR 39—Section 2, Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.01552,-116.904692&ll=45.01552,-116.904692
- Comments: "Jip jip jip"

Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (Loxia curvirostra (type 2)) (4)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 by Frank Lospalluto
- casa dei viola, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.063806,-122.609529&ll=42.063806,-122.609529
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "believe these are type 2 calls"

Black-throated Sparrow (Amphispiza bilineata) (2)
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 08:40 by Mark Gonzalez
- Smith Rock SP, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3669375,-121.1371851&ll=44.3669375,-121.1371851
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Sparrows observed near crest of Burma Trail near location
identified earlier in week by Steve Kornfeld. Black throat, black head
with distinct white supercilium and second white "malar" stripe. White
belly and underside. Also heard melodic tinkle of Black-throated Sparrow
song. Observed with John Gardiner. Documentary photos attached."

Black-throated Sparrow (Amphispiza bilineata) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 18, 2020 08:11 by John Gardiner
- Smith Rock SP, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3669375,-121.1371851&ll=44.3669375,-121.1371851
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing ... First reported by Steve Kornfeld on Burma Road
on 7/13. Seen with Mark Gonzales help. Thank you Mark. Photos."

Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:32 by Martin Stervander
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Wrong time of year, but nevertheless a Lincoln's Sparrow,
which posed nicely in a willow, and called several times. Rufous, streaked
crown; broad grey supercilium; relatively thin black eye-stripe behind eye
bordering light rear ear-coverts; black moustachial stripe; rather fine
black streaks on buff chest and flanks."

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) (Setophaga coronata auduboni) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 07:02 by Joshua Meyers
- Lost Valley Rd.--valley and pine forest, Gilliam, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.075741,-119.9704122&ll=45.075741,-119.9704122
- Comments: "Yellow-Rumped Warbler with yellow under chin. Previously
reported"

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) (Setophaga coronata auduboni) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 07:02 by Linnaea Basden
- Lost Valley Rd.--valley and pine forest, Gilliam, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.075741,-119.9704122&ll=45.075741,-119.9704122
- Comments: "Yellow-Rumped Warbler with yellow under chin. Previously
reported"

eBird Alerts provide recent reports of regionally or seasonally rare
species (Rarities Alerts) or species you have not yet observed (Needs
Alerts) in your region of interest; both Accepted and Unreviewed
observations are included. Some reports may be from private property or
inaccessible to the general public. It is the responsibility of every
eBirder to be aware of and respectful of access restrictions. For more
information, see our Terms of Use:
https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/terms-of-use/

Join us on Facebook!