Date: 7/19/20 1:13 am
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] North Coast shorebird migration becomes obvious
I was on the Beach after work the lat three days in Clatsop County.
Southbound shorebird migration has become apparent with over a hundred each
of SANDERLINGS, WESTERN SANDPIPERS, and SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS in the few
miles of beach I surveyed on 17 July. At Trestle Bay (Fort Stevens State
Park) today (18 July) I saw the first juvenile WESTERN SANDPIPER in a flock
of 125 adult Westerns. A juvenile SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER was also in the
flock. This was a duller and shorter-billed individual than I reported from
13 July nearby.

Another birder was checking Clatsop beaches on Friday and reported seeing
both BLACK and RUDDY (2) TURNSTONES and many Western Sandpipers (all
adults).

Others are reporting Marbled Godwits in the dozens from Trestle Bay during
low tide. I seem to only get out there during the flood and they've gone
somewhere else.

David

David C. Bailey
Seaside, Oregon