Date: 7/18/20 5:05 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Common Goldeneye (1 Gilliam)
Red-necked Grebe (1 Washington)
Clark's Grebe (3 Lincoln)
Ancient Murrelet (1 Lincoln)
Franklin's Gull (1 Baker)
Mew Gull (1 Lincoln)
Common Tern (2 Clatsop)
Least Flycatcher (1 Deschutes)
Horned Lark (1 Lane)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (2 Lane)
Veery (2 Deschutes)
Pine Grosbeak (1 Wallowa)
Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (1 Lane)
Black-throated Sparrow (2 Deschutes)
Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (1 Wallowa)
Lincoln's Sparrow (1 Lane)
Green-tailed Towhee (1 Linn)

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:23 by Linnaea Basden
- Condon Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Gilliam, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2275954,-120.17736&ll=45.2275954,-120.17736
- Comments: "Male still hanging around."

Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena) (2)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:47 by Tracy Zitzelberger
- Fernhill Wetlands--Natural Treatment System (ASoP/CWS survey),
Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.507174,-123.0879879&ll=45.507174,-123.0879879
- Comments: "Much larger than pied billed, Distinctive bill. White/buff
breast, light yellow bill, not breeding plumage (brown), one was swimming,
the other was in a different area on a log at lake shore"

Clark's Grebe (Aechmophorus clarkii) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:57 by Steve Holzman
- Quarry Cove—Yaquina Head, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.67317,-124.072425&ll=44.67317,-124.072425
- Comments: "Brighter yellow bill than nearby Westerns. White observed
above the eye. Possible photo"

Clark's Grebe (Aechmophorus clarkii) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:53 by Will Wright
- Yachats SP, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3104337,-124.1074687&ll=44.3104337,-124.1074687
- Comments: "White above eye. Straw yellow bill."

Clark's Grebe (Aechmophorus clarkii) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:53 by Kim Nelson
- Yachats SP, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3104337,-124.1074687&ll=44.3104337,-124.1074687
- Comments: "White above eye. Straw yellow bill."

Ancient Murrelet (Synthliboramphus antiquus) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:57 by Steve Holzman
- Quarry Cove—Yaquina Head, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.67317,-124.072425&ll=44.67317,-124.072425
- Comments: "Photo to be uploaded."

Franklin's Gull (Leucophaeus pipixcan) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 09:15 by Dave Trochlell
- Baker Sewage Treatment Ponds (restricted access), Baker, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.8135987,-117.8437478&ll=44.8135987,-117.8437478
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "This was a first-cycle Franklin's Gull. It had a gray mantle
and black primaries, but the wing coverts, secondaries, and tertials
appeared to be brownish. The bird had a partial sooty-gray hood and the
bill and legs were dark. The underparts, neck, and forehead were white. The
bird was noticeable smaller than nearby Ring-billed Gulls and much smaller
than nearby California Gulls. Distant photo."

Mew Gull (Larus canus) (3)
- Reported Jul 16, 2020 09:21 by Jill Oertley
- Tara Lane Sherwood Lane And Beach, Waldport, Oregon, US (44.416,
-124.083), Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.4156056,-124.08323&ll=44.4156056,-124.08323
- Comments: "Small gull with brown on tail, smudges on head, black tip on
bill"

Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) (1)
- Reported Jul 16, 2020 13:45 by Susan Kirkbride
- Fort Stevens SP--Parking Area D, Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=46.2265811,-123.9901543&ll=46.2265811,-123.9901543
- Comments: "Ongoing rarity. Cute little bird with black legs and bill.
Half the size of the Caspian Terns."

Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2020 09:20 by Kathleen Sayce
- Fort Stevens SP--Trestle Bay, Clatsop, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=46.2225494,-124.0013742&ll=46.2225494,-124.0013742
- Comments: "much smaller than CATE, partial black cap, black bill,
continuing bird"

Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 13, 2020 06:45 by Jack Williamson
- 2020 Veery Stakeout, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.370922,-121.627845&ll=44.370922,-121.627845
- Media: 10 Photos
- Comments: "Comments coming"

Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) (2)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 06:16 by Joshua Little
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "Singing, continuing bird"

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 14:12 by Kelli Van Norman
- Mt. Pisgah--SE access (Ridgeway Rd.), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.9914227,-122.9415286&ll=43.9914227,-122.9415286
- Comments: "Small blueish/grayish bird with eyering, darker tail and light
under tail. Trail 6 100 meters uphill (west-north-west) past the creek in
the buckbrush (ceanothus). We followed it and lost it and saw what might
have been another or might have been the same one reappearing where we
didn’t expect it—away from where it had gone. I took some pics in the Bush
but not sure I got it. Good looks from us both in bins. ...and I i was
typing this it reappeared and I got pics. I know this has been reported
here, not sure how long ago."

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 14:12 by Jack Maynard
- Mt. Pisgah--SE access (Ridgeway Rd.), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.9914227,-122.9415286&ll=43.9914227,-122.9415286
- Comments: "Small blueish/grayish bird with eyering, darker tail and light
under tail. Trail 6 100 meters uphill (west-north-west) past the creek in
the buckbrush (ceanothus). We followed it and lost it and saw what might
have been another or might have been the same one reappearing where we
didn’t expect it—away from where it had gone. I took some pics in the Bush
but not sure I got it. Good looks from us both in bins. ...and I i was
typing this it reappeared and I got pics. I know this has been reported
here, not sure how long ago."

Veery (Catharus fuscescens) (5) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 13, 2020 06:45 by Jack Williamson
- 2020 Veery Stakeout, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.370922,-121.627845&ll=44.370922,-121.627845
- Media: 8 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing on nest"

Veery (Catharus fuscescens) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2020 06:15 by Jack Williamson
- Black Butte Swamp, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.3713649,-121.6314715&ll=44.3713649,-121.6314715
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing"

Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 04:57 by Alec Hopping
- McCully Creek & Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2756112,-117.1372712&ll=45.2756112,-117.1372712
- Comments: "*flagged. But known from area. One calling flyover- rich
churrup, like a sweeter, syrupy western tanager."

Red Crossbill (Western Hemlock or type 3) (Loxia curvirostra (type 3)) (5)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 16, 2020 05:33 by Rich Hoyer
- Calliope Corner, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.091925,-123.1374&ll=44.091925,-123.1374
- Comments: "Same high-pitched “twip” call as yesterday; see sonogram"

Black-throated Sparrow (Amphispiza bilineata) (4)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 08:32 by Marilynne Keyser
- Smith Rock State Park, Terrebonne US-OR 44.36701, -121.13907, Deschutes,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.367012,-121.139069&ll=44.367012,-121.139069
- Comments: "Sparrow with black throat. I have photos that will be added.
Seemed to be a family of four."

Black-throated Sparrow (Amphispiza bilineata) (4)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 08:32 by Nancy Boever
- Smith Rock State Park, Terrebonne US-OR 44.36701, -121.13907, Deschutes,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.367012,-121.139069&ll=44.367012,-121.139069
- Comments: "Sparrow with black throat. I have photos that will be added.
Seemed to be a family of four."

Fox Sparrow (Slate-colored) (Passerella iliaca [schistacea Group]) (1)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 19:38 by Alec Hopping
- McCully Creek & Trail, Wallowa, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2756112,-117.1372712&ll=45.2756112,-117.1372712
- Comments: "Expected form, filmed singing. I’m going to guess that Sooty
probably should not be on the filter here at this time of year."

Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) (2)
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 08:45 by Linda Gilbert
- Olallie Mountain Trail, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0376714,-122.0686681&ll=44.0376714,-122.0686681
- Comments: "not rare in wet meadows in this area"

Green-tailed Towhee (Pipilo chlorurus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 17, 2020 08:11 by Steve Kornfeld
- Pacific Crest Trail--Three Fingered Jack (Santiam Pass north to Minto
Pass), Linn, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.4311245,-121.8488803&ll=44.4311245,-121.8488803
- Comments: "Three-quarters of a mile up the trail. Habitat ideal for
towhee. Scolding call herd and bird visualized at close range"

eBird Alerts provide recent reports of regionally or seasonally rare
species (Rarities Alerts) or species you have not yet observed (Needs
Alerts) in your region of interest; both Accepted and Unreviewed
observations are included. Some reports may be from private property or
inaccessible to the general public. It is the responsibility of every
eBirder to be aware of and respectful of access restrictions. For more
information, see our Terms of Use:
https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/terms-of-use/

Join us on Facebook!