Date: 7/17/20 8:01 pm
From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr...>
Subject: [obol] Black Butte Swamp Veery
I believe Stephan Schlick was the first to report a Veery singing and
calling in the area known as Black Butte Swamp in Deschutes county,
Oregon on June 11th. Shortly after that, a lot of people were able to get
great views and photographs of one or more Veery. I located a pair of
Veery along the edge of the swamp on June 19th; then, on July 9th, I was
able to see three nestlings begging for food. Not in the area on the 14th,
I believe I missed an excellent opportunity to photograph the chicks as
they left the nest. When I returned on the 15th, I found one egg remaining
in the nest and the two adults foraging 50 to 100 meters west, taking their
catch into thickets of dense shrubbery closer edge of the Aspen. Searching
a broader area on July 16th, we heard their distinctive "down-slurred veer"
in the Aspen approximately half a mile west of the nest site.

I previously thought this species to be secretive by nature but now believe
the reason they are typically hard to get a good look at has more to do
with the habitat they prefer than inherent skittishness. I remained
covered by a camo netting sitting on the ground most of the time monitoring
the next. But in the end, it was just me sitting in the open and the birds
approached closer than while I was covered with netting.

https://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2020/7/black-butte-swamp-veery

Jack Williamson
West Linn & Black Butte, Oregon

Join us on Facebook!