Date: 7/17/20 7:24 pm
From: Ryan Phillips <norcalbirding...>
Hi Chuq,
Thanks for attention to this and moderating poor birding ethics.

I don't think that removing SBB from Sialia would make any difference in
disturbance of birds. There are too many avenues of information in the bird
world and they can just join SBB. I believe that removing SBB from Sialia
would be more detrimental than productive.

From my experience with many of these photographers, they are spreading the
word through social media or their tight groups. That can't be stopped.

Photographers and birders need to get some ethics but I don't see that
happening with some. But we as a community should shame these type of
behaviors and speak up about it. This week there was a report that
birders/photographers were dropping down into the creek area. This is not
allowed and breaks the birding code of ethics and damaging habitat with
endangered species (ie. pickleweed, Ridgway's Rail). Stay on the trail and
you can get a fine photo of the Red Bishop with patience and others can
enjoy it to. Don't ruin the bishop experience.

I had seen this bird a week before being reported and this is why I didn't
post it, as I witnessed the total disregard of rules, rangers, biologists
and ethics.

Ryan

Ryan Phillips
Norcal Birding
www.norcalbirding.com

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020, 4:43 PM Chuq Von Rospach via groups.io <chuqui=
<mac.com...> wrote:

> Because of the problems we've had today with the Red Bishop, and that the
> people abusing those birds are not birders but are likely becoming aware of
> these birds by birding reports, I've taken an action I've been considering
> on and off for a while but really preferred not to. Effective today, the
> South Bay Birds list archives are available ONLY to list members, not the
> general public. If you are a list member, you'll need to be logged into
> groups.io to view them.
>
> It is possible, but not proven, that SBB is what's keying these people in
> on these birds. It is also possible that it isn't. But I've wondered for a
> while whether public archives were a good idea. This closes down one way
> for this information to leak to people we can't trust and haven't vetted.
>
> That said, my gut tells me it's more likely they doing something like
> following eBird rare bird reports, which I have no control over. Or perhaps
> one or more are members here and quietly sifting through the postings in
> their inbox (if they are, they better hope I never figure out who they
> are).
>
> There's one other possible place that I've worried about for a while,
> which is the state lists digests as Sialia.com: http://digest.sialia.com
>
> I would like to ask all of you to give me your opinion: do the benefits of
> sending SBB to Sialia outweigh the risks, given what we're seeing with the
> Red Bishops? I still see a risk of our data being leaked in ways we can't
> protect or control because of that site. Now I wonder if I can afford to
> continue supporting it by sending it a copy of our list.
>
> What do you think? I'm torn, and I want to hear your opinions before
> making any decision.
>
> Please email me privately (<chuqui...>), not on the list.
>
> chuq
>

> ---------------------------------------
>
> Chuq Von Rospach http://www.chuqui.com
> Email: <chuqui...>