Date: 7/17/20 4:03 pm
From: Chuq Von Rospach via groups.io <chuqui=<mac.com...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Northern Red Bishop
Yes, we now have abuse problems with this bird. Not, I hope, anyone on this list (and if you're someone skimming these archives to find birds like this and then showing up and abusing them to get your shot, well, shame on you). The report I had from this morning had a couple of groups including one group of four working together ("shoulder to shoulder") with the bird being chased off repeatedly. An attempt to engage them in discussion was ignored.

I was asked what someone should do if you do attempt to engage people like this to no avail. Once they prove themselves as not naive, but not giving a damn, your options are really limited. Escalating your attempt to intervene is both unlikely to improve the situation and might put you at risk of a response, so I strongly discourage it. If politeness doesn't work, don't put yourself into a situation where they might respond abusively to you, too (and if it does escalate into an argument or fight, that's arguably worse for the birds there, too).

So unless you know where to find a ranger and they can come and use their position to intervene, my suggestion this morning was to back off and not make things worse. I have in some situations taken identifying photos (faces and actions and where possible license plates) to forward to the rangers later. That said, chances of any action that might encourage them to behave later is unlikely these days.

It sucks, but once they decide it's okay to abuse the birds to get their shot (or their tick mark -- birders aren't immune from this behavior, either), there are few options that are likely to be constructive.

chuq

> On Jul 17, 2020, at 3:16 PM, Bob Reiling <rreiling2...> wrote:
>
> I got there this morning (7/17) at about 7:15, there were many photographers (big cameras/no binos) all over the usual sites and the bird was not seen.

---------------------------------------

Chuq Von Rospach http://www.chuqui.com
Email: <chuqui...>
Twitter: @chuq