Date: 7/17/20 3:16 pm
From: Bob Reiling <rreiling2...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Northern Red Bishop
All,
Anyone hoping to see the Northern Red Bishop should get there very early (6 to 6:30 AM or perhaps go in the afternoon) as non-birdwatcher photographers are really pushing any and all birdwatching ethics (many big cameras in as close as possible). I got there this morning (7/17) at about 7:15, there were many photographers (big cameras/no binos) all over the usual sites and the bird was not seen. Many were commenting on how close the bird had been to them earlier. I did finally get a brief glimpse of a male along the creek near the culvert (about 8:30). One of the photographers said that he had seen a female in the yellow flowered bush in the culvert (anybody seen any photos of a current female sighting?). At one point I saw someone photographing a nearby object (10 feet away) in the grass just north of the pump house for 30 minutes. I thought that it must have been flowers, later I was told that it was a male and that it had finally flown toward the northeast. This is not a countable bird but an awful lot of people (birders and photographers) want to see it and some don't care what effect it may have on the bird or on other people.
Take care,
Bob Reiling

View/Reply Online (#22031): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22031
-=-=-