Date: 7/16/20 3:51 pm
From: Dylan Osterhaus <dosterha...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Story County Shorebirds (Hendrickson Marsh)
Hello birders,

Over the summer, water levels at Hendrickson Marsh in Story County have
been dropping steadily which has resulted in phenomenal shorebird habitat
at the marsh. The area is easily visible with a scope from the parking lot
to the south of the marsh (41.931593, -93.240068). You can also park at
this spot and walk through an area of burned prairie to get even closer to
the marsh for better viewing without disturbing the birds.

Thousands of shorebirds have been present recently, as well as a large
congregation of Great Blue Herons and various raptors. Also, I have viewed
a pair of Sandhill Cranes with a colt out in the open on the east side of
the marsh (listed as a possible breeder in Story County in the IA Breeding
Bird Atlas II, however, I am aware of at least two and possibly three pairs
with colts in the county this year).

I would highly recommend making a trip to Hendrickson Marsh as the
shorebird migration continues over the next few weeks!

Good birding,

Dylan Osterhaus