Date: 7/16/20 11:37 am
From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Empidonax (Yeah-But) and More
Thanks again to everyone that weighed in on this challenging ID.

On July 14th, a couple of national experts weighed in and indicated that
the first bird is a Least Flycatcher, something no one locally advocated,
but the consensus is that the second bird is a Dusky Flycatcher.

The summary of their opinion was *The bill shape, extensive orange below,
eyering shape, and relatively blackish wings are all good Least features.
The general structure is also good for Least.*

So there you have it. I would have posted this sooner but I was keeping
the location of the bush secret because it housed a Veery nest that I have
been closely monitoring since June 19.

Three chicks fledged yesterday and have now moved about a half-mile west
into the Aspen where we were able to pick up on their calls for a few
minutes.

If you approach the bush from the south-side you will be able to locate the
nest relatively easily. It is 18 inches off the ground and contains one
unhatched blue egg.

Both the nest and egg are in very good condition and I was wondering if
they might be used by a nature center somewhere.

If you'd like to chase the Least and or checkout the Veery nest, the
coordinates of the bush are 44.370922, -121.627845

Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon and
Black Butte Ranch

Join us on Facebook!