Date: 7/16/20 9:04 am
From: DEBRA M POWERS <dmp2ec...>
Subject: [NHBirds] unattended Mississippi Kite nest? Is this early?
I observed the Durham nesting site the morning, one adult on nest attending to chick, second adult was seen up high on several occasions flying with what looked to be another kite, later two broadwing hawks also did a fly-by. During that time I watched the adult in the nest leave, the nest was unattended for over 15 minutes, watching the chicks head pop up and down. One adult landed in the tree across the road for about a minute and then left. All total about 20 minutes alone in the nest ( at least I did not see or hear the adults) then both adults came into the nest and fed. I have to admit, I was having flash backs of a few years ago in Newmarket. I am assuming this is normal, just seemed to be early to be leaving the nest?
Just thought I would share,
Deb Powers-South Berwick Maine

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143862779@N08/50119613376/in/dateposted-public/