Date: 7/16/20 5:51 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Heermann's Gull Flight - Coos
Hi Don & Robyn et al.

It varies from year to year but I think your numbers are about normal- on
the average that is. I went back into my database and found some higher
counts to give you an idea:

9/8/2000, Empire area, Coos Bay (inside bay): 300

Same day scoping off of North Spit, Coos Bay: 800

8/4/2004, Empire area, Coos Bay (inside bay): 600

7/10/2011, Coos Bay lower bay (not including upper bay): 200

10/31/2012, off Cape Arago: 400

10/19/2019, off Cape Arago: 300

Sounds like we will have a better year for Heermann's than the last couple
of years anyhow. Wonder if we will see any Elegant Terns this year???

Happy summertime all,
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 12:52 PM Don Henise <kiskadee3...> wrote:

> Robyn and I did a 2 1/2 hour sea watch from the dunes at Bullards Beach
> and had a steady movement of Heermann's Gulls to the north. We counted 170
> in that 2 1/2 hours. That's more than we saw the whole season last year
> during our 1st fall in Oregon. I know from chatter on Obol that last year
> was a slow year for Heermann's so maybe this is more the norm.
>

> Don Henise
> Myrtle Point, OR
> <kiskadee3...>

Join us on Facebook!