Date: 7/16/20 5:40 am
From: Eve Meier <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Three local parks in the Evergreen area of San Jose 7/15/2020
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday morning, Patricia Lynch and I did some socially distant birding
at 3 local Evergreen parks: Canyon Creek Park, Evergreen Community Center,
and Montgomery Hill Park. All three parks were quiet peoplewise.

*Canyon Creek Park* is very small with a short trail running between an
almost dry creek and small grassy hillside. Our best birds here were a
pair of WHITE-TAILED KITES, a SAY'S PHOEBE, and a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK that
caught a ground squirrel on the grassy hill and flew off to the trees.
There are no facilities at this park.
ebird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S71529526

*Evergreen Community Center* has a small grassy park with a playground,
picnic tables, bathroom and a paved 1/2 mile trail circling the park. There
were lots of tall eucalyptus trees, a dry creek bed lined with oaks, and an
area of evergreen trees. This park was bird busy with several HOODED
ORIOLES, BULLOCK'S ORIOLES, WESTERN TANAGERS, and BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS
high in the eucalyptus trees.
ebird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S71529662

Our last stop was *Montgomery Hill Park* which sits behind Evergreen
Community College. We used the park entrance on Falls Creek Dr (37.305059,
-121.761822). This larger park has lots of steep trails over dry grassy
hills and no facilities. But, we found a couple of more level trails,
including the Evergreen Creek Trail which runs alongside a dry creek bed.
The birding was more quiet here but the park held promise for future
visits. Our favorite sighting was a covey of CALIFORNIA QUAIL in someone's
lawn that we spotted as we were parking our cars.
ebird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S71529697

For park locations, you can link to google maps from within each ebird
checklist.

Happy Birding!
Eve Meier (San Jose)

View/Reply Online (#22022): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22022