Date: 7/15/20 10:03 am
From: Patrick Comins via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Oppose the proposed weakening of a key law protecting birds.
Dear Connecticut Birders:

As has been discussed here, there is a proposal to weaken the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. In 2018 the U.S. Department of the Interior changed the way this law was enforced. The department said it would no longer be a violation to "incidentally" kill birds during the course of doing business. Only "intentional harm" would count. Under the proposed changes, if a colony of terns were nesting on a beach, the owner would be allowed to rake debris off the beach, taking the nests with it, as long as the intent was to rake the beach and not destroy the nests. Among the reasons this is bad policy is that it is very difficult to prove intent in a court of law. These changes would make the law virtually unenforceable.

Please contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and tell them the rollbacks to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act are unacceptable. Deadline for comments is July 20. This act is the foundation of the modern bird conservation movement and provides significant protections for native birds.

We have created an action alert that makes it easy to submit comments. You can use the language we have prepared or customize as you see fit. For more information please see:

https://www.ctaudubon.org/2020/07/action-alert-key-bird-protection-law-is-about-to-be-gutted/

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Patrick