Date: 7/15/20 9:25 am
From: Steve Smith <kwedun...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NH photo in 2020 Audubon Photography Awards: Top 100
https://www.audubon.org/magazine/summer-2020/the-2020-audubon-photography-awards-top-100

This New Hampshire photo is # 14 from the top of the list

Category: Amateur
Photographer: Howard Arndt
Species: Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Location: Amherst, NH
Camera: Canon EOS 1DX Mark II with Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM lens and Canon Extender 2x EF III; 1/640 second at f/18; ISO 5000
Behind the Shot: I first saw this bird sitting on the dead branch of an oak tree outside my front door. That day I spent eight hours with him, taking thousands of photos. I was taught to stay with an interesting subject, and this one fascinated me; over two months I observed him fighting, facing off with a spider, bathing in the rain, grooming, and sleeping. In this shot, he’s doing his stretching exercises at his favorite perch. Using my house as a blind, I took the photo from an open window. After much experimentation, I pre-focused on the branch and used a cable release to activate the shutter.