Date: 7/15/20 9:19 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Laysan, Black-footed & Hybrid Albatross
Well if Peter Pyle says it, I'm a believer. In defense of Michael Force,
he didn't claim it was a hybrid. Just sent it to me as an interesting
albatross
similar to what I had photographed. Thanks to Jules for this.
I had not looked at this photo in several decades, but in preparing the jpg
of the three albatrosses I did notice something that I had not noticed
before. From these photos, at least, Black-footed and Laysan have quite
different shapes.
Laysan has proportionally longer, narrower wings and an apparently longer,
or at least narrower bill. My presumed hybrid fits Black-footed quite well
and is quite different from the Laysan. I should have paid more attention
to this at the time. The albatross in the center is a little more
problematical, due to the angle of the photo. It does appear very long
winged.
Further, Roy's photos of the hybrids show a quite different pattern of
hybridism. A melding of coloration, rather than a splotchy distribution of
features from both.
Live and learn.
Bob OBrien Carver OR

Join us on Facebook!