Date: 7/14/20 5:16 pm
From: Dennis Thompson <cndthomps...>
Subject: [ia-bird] election of IOU board members
The election of IOU officers and board members normally takes place during
the spring meeting. These aren't normal times and the cancellation of the
spring meeting has forced us to take a different approach to holding the
2020 IOU election.

Mary Beth Hunt resigned as Treasurer effective July 1st. Her dedication to
that office over the years has been invaluable to our organization.
Likewise, we owe Doug Hunt and others at Hunt & Associates a huge "thank
you" for handling the finances and financial duties for IOU these past
years. Sarah Francis is our current liaison and has been great to work
with. Tom Dougherty agreed to take over the Treasurer duties until we could
hold an election and has worked hard with Hunt & Associates to make this a
seamless transition.

Other IOU office terms that ended in May were Secretary Sharon Bauer and
Board Members Eric Ollie and Curt Nelson. All agreed to keep serving until
the next election.

The board is meeting 7/18 to discuss the fate of the IOU Fall Meeting. As
it's hard to imagine how it could be pulled off, we're moving ahead with
holding an electronic election for 2020. IOU members are asked to vote on
the following slate:

Tom Dougherty - Treasurer

Katie Byerly - Secretary

Curt Nelson - 2nd term Board Member

Sharon Bauer - 1st term Board Member

Wendy VanDeWalle - 1st term Board Member

The ballot for IOU members can be reached via the following link -
<https://iowabirds.org/Members/2020Election.aspx>
https://iowabirds.org/Members/2020Election.aspx. Members will also receive
an email reminder. We're asking that voting be concluded by August 1st.

Like most of you I really miss our in-person interaction. The cancellation
of the Spring Meeting was necessary but very disappointing. Matt Wetrich
and the Carroll CCB were really looking forward to hosting us. Eric Ollie
and the Events Committee were putting the finishing touches on an
IOU-sponsored trip to Michigan for Kirtland's Warblers and other northern
nesters when the pandemic halted that endeavor. Both will be planned for
2021. While activities like these are a big part of what IOU offers there
is a lot more going on. Your membership supports our great Iowa Bird Life
publication and our electronic presence through our listserve, Twitter and
Facebook accounts. IOU has become very active in supporting projects that
impact birds and their habitats over the past years and that work continues
in earnest. Even during the changes brought about during this pandemic the
Iowa Ornithologists' Union continues to provide critical support for birds
and birding in the state.

Denny Thompson

IOU President