Date: 7/14/20 1:17 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Looney Loons with tail lights: id. question...
I don’t notice white patches like that on flying Pac Loons but I have not watched big movements the last couple of years. There are a number of Pacifics wintering on the c coast; the ones I have seen have been on the water and showed no such white.

I have seen that paleness now and then on Red-throated in the water. I have seen a couple of Arctics and they are pretty large-headed and big-billed compared to RT. Probably not easy to confuse even at a distance.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Jul 14, 2020, at 1:07 PM, David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...> wrote:
>
> Hive mind:
>
> I was at the Seaside Cove scoping this morning late when I noticed a loon flying north low over the water. It appeared smaller than a Common Loon and showed a straight neck. The most obvious thing about this loon were the bright white hind-flank patches at the rear that seemed to come up onto the sides of the rump somewhat like the white on a Violet-green Swallow. I wondered about Arctic Loon since their white flank patches are said to be distinctive. For those who have done a lot of sea watching (ie. Phil Pickering, Shawneen, Dave Irons, Alan Curmudgeon, JG et al.), how often do you see loons in flight with obvious large oval white tail lights?
>
> I saw one SOOTY SHEARWATER and a couple HEERMANN'S GULLS with the BROWN PELICANS and CASPIAN TERNS, but not much else. A lone male LESSER SCAUP presented a challenge to identify until it swam closer and I was able to differentiate it from Greater. No grebes, few gulls, no alcides, and just the one loon and duck...
>
> David
>
> David C. Bailey
> Seaside, Oregon

Join us on Facebook!