Date: 7/14/20 1:09 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Looney Loons with tail lights: id. question...
Hive mind:

I was at the Seaside Cove scoping this morning late when I noticed a loon
flying north low over the water. It appeared smaller than a Common Loon and
showed a straight neck. The most obvious thing about this loon were the
bright white hind-flank patches at the rear that seemed to come up onto the
sides of the rump somewhat like the white on a Violet-green Swallow. I
wondered about Arctic Loon since their white flank patches are said to be
distinctive. For those who have done a lot of sea watching (ie. Phil
Pickering, Shawneen, Dave Irons, Alan Curmudgeon, JG et al.), how often do
you see loons in flight with obvious large oval white tail lights?

I saw one SOOTY SHEARWATER and a couple HEERMANN'S GULLS with the BROWN
PELICANS and CASPIAN TERNS, but not much else. A lone male LESSER SCAUP
presented a challenge to identify until it swam closer and I was able to
differentiate it from Greater. No grebes, few gulls, no alcides, and just
the one loon and duck...

David

David C. Bailey
Seaside, Oregon