Date: 7/14/20 12:21 pm
From: Tom Grey <tgrey...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Renzel update, pix
I walked around the Emily Renzel ponds yesterday (7/13) and found plenty of
continuing action in this avian hotbed.

Weeks back, Killdeer had unwisely nested in the gravel of the busy trail
that separates the two ponds, saved by Juliana's reporting this to the
ranger, who yellow-taped the nest area. Yesterday the tape was gone, and
the ranger reported that chicks had hatched. I soon came upon this adult
KILLDEER WITH TWO CHICKS foraging on the algae mat a few yards from the
nest site:
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170872621

I could find only one active PIED-BILLED GREBE NEST remaining, the one
near the tower in the east pont. But it turned out to be inhabited not only
by a sitting adult, but in one picture by TWO and then a few minutes later,
in a picture from a different angle, by FOUR freshly hatched chicks.The
adult remained sitting throughout, suggesting the possibility of even more
chicks to come.
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170872622
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170872623

COMMON GALLINULES continued active; pictures show an adult foraging with a
juvenile, and a pair engaged in an interesting mode of synchronized
foraging and/or pair-bonding behavior.
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170872615
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170872614

CANADA GEESE: adult leading a column of juveniles.
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170872613

At least two and possibly three GREEN HERONS were present, inviting both
portraits and action shots:
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170872620
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170872618
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170872619