Date: 7/14/20 11:55 am
From: Chris Loscalzo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Confirming hummingbirds
Adding to Chris Elphick’s useful comments on the atlas blog, we can offer a potentially useful tip for confirming RT Hummingbird in your atlas block. Two springs ago, we stumbled upon a way to confirm the species. We were sitting by a pond when we observed a female hummer make repeated visits to a stand of cattails, flying off with a beak full of cattail “fluff” each time, undoubtedly gathering nesting material. We haven’t tried it yet at home, but next spring we plan on putting out such cattail heads in our backyard as soon as the hummingbirds return. We anticipate that the females that visit our feeders in the spring will make use of the nesting material thus confirming them as breeders in our local block. Worth a try!
Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey, Woodbridge

Sent from my iPhone