Date: 7/14/20 6:58 am
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: Re: [NHBirds] Reference/field guide recommendation request.
Butterflies
---------------
As far as I can see, there are no good field guides to butterflies of
the local area.  Only national books.  Besides the Kaufmann guide (which
is good), there is the "Swift Guide to Butterflies of North America"
(2nd edition) by Jeffrey Glassberg.  This book is OK, but it covers
every butterfly that has EVER occurred in the United States!  And the
layout of the book drives me crazy.  Nevertheless, it has outstanding
photographs and is one of the best for field identification with
binoculars and cameras:

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-Guide-Butterflies-North-America/dp/0691176507/

Another great option is to study some of the on-line web sites.
Massachusetts has done an excellent job in documenting butterflies and
there are some great resources.  Below are a few links:

https://www.naba.org/chapters/nabambc/construct-group-page.asp?gr=All

https://www.naba.org/chapters/nabambc/

Sharon Stichter did a fantastic job summarizing butterflies and their
natural history and occurrence in Massachusetts.  The book is rather
pricey at $58, but it is an amazing amount of information. The book is
also essentially free on-line!  More information here:

https://www.amazon.com/Butterflies-Massachusetts-their-history-future/dp/1492952753

http://www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net/species%20list.htm

Moths
----------
No clues.  I'm afraid to start getting into moths!!

Insects General ID
-------------------------
I have to give a shout out to Tom Murray for his book "Insects of New
England and New York".  This covers a snapshot of 1,250 species of the
more common insects for the region.  Obviously not comprehensive, but
small enough to carry in your pocket.  A fun guide to carry
around.....and many of his photos were taken in New Hampshire:

https://www.amazon.com/Insects-New-England-York-Naturalist/dp/1936571021/

Dragonflies and Damselfies
-------------------------------------
The best regional field guide is Blair Nikula's book "A field guide to
the dragonflies and damselflies of Massachusetts".  This book is not
easy to find, but should be readily available through the State of MA
Department of Natural Heritage for $20.  Don't try to buy it elsewhere
since Amazon will charge you $117!!!!

https://www.mass.gov/guides/masswildlife-publications#-field-guide-to-ma-dragonflies-&-damselflies-

It is an excellent resource and covers almost all of New Hampshire's
odonates.

Another great option is Dennis Paulson's book that covers the eastern US.

https://www.amazon.com/Dragonflies-Damselflies-Princeton-Field-Guides/dp/0691122830/

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA