Date: 7/14/20 6:55 am
From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Empidonax (Yeah-But)
Thanks to those who responded so quickly. I woke up to four
thoughtful replies - each with a different ID :-) Which made me feel better
of course. The one piece of advice that I keep forgetting is that the
visual ID of Empidonax is a fools errand. I will keep trying nevertheless.

Thanks again.

Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:11 PM Jack Williamson <
<jack.williamson.jr...> wrote:

> This morning while sitting in a meadow near Black Butte Ranch caring for
> my dog Remy's paw, two different flycatchers flew into a nearby bush within
> 30-45 seconds of each other.
>
> Empidonax flycatchers are hard to come by for me, especially nearby with
> good lighting. So I thought - finally, I will be able to make a couple of
> definitive identifications after capturing good images of each bird.
>
> My choice of species based on the eBird bar charts for July for this area
> includes Hammond's, Dusky, Gray, Pacific Slope, and this year Least.
>
> I am convinced I am somewhere on the bird-id-autism-spectrum after
> spending several hours comparing my images to the online literature and
> coming up with buttkiss.
>
> I thought the second bird that seemed to be following the first might be
> the offspring of the first because I have never seen flycatchers follow
> each other, but I ruled that out after seeing the worn retrices of the
> second bird.
>
> Your impressions will be much appreciated.
>
> Images of the first bird have a green background the second blue.
>
> https://adobe.ly/38Scoeu
>
> Jack Williamson
> West Linn, Oregon

Join us on Facebook!