Date: 7/14/20 1:42 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Empidonax (Yeah-But)
I would say Pacslope, and the second bird is a juvie. Juvenal plumage is by design flimsy(highly temporary) and can give the impression of wear. While  visual ID of Empids  is often a fool's errand this adult has an all orange lower mandible and bright, tear-shaped eye-ring.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr...> Date: 7/13/20 9:11 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <COBOL...>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol...> Subject: [obol] Empidonax (Yeah-But) This morning while sitting in a meadow near Black Butte Ranch caring for my dog Remy's paw, two different flycatchers flew into a nearby bush within 30-45 seconds of each other.Empidonax flycatchers are hard to come by for me, especially nearby with good lighting.  So I thought - finally, I will be able to make a couple of definitive identifications after capturing good images of each bird.My choice of species based on the eBird bar charts for July for this area includes Hammond's, Dusky, Gray, Pacific Slope, and this year Least.I am convinced I am somewhere on the bird-id-autism-spectrum after spending several hours comparing my images to the online literature and coming up with buttkiss.  I thought the second bird that seemed to be following the first might be the offspring of the first because I have never seen flycatchers follow each other, but I ruled that out after seeing the worn retrices of the second bird.   Your impressions will be much appreciated.Images of the first bird have a green background the second blue.https://adobe.ly/38ScoeuJack WilliamsonWest Linn, Oregon

Join us on Facebook!