Date: 7/13/20 11:35 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Thank you
Probably an escape. Chukars are commonly used for training and trialing hunting dogs at licensed hunting preserves. There are not any breeding populations in the wild in NY.

From: <geneseebirds-l-bounces...> on behalf of Genesse_Birds <geneseebirds-l...>
Date: Monday, July 13, 2020 at 12:49 PM
To: Genesse_Birds <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Thank you

Thank you for accepting my subscription.

I wanted to share this with a bird lovers group and yours was the closest to where I live. I'm in rural Genesee Co. about 10 mi. NE of Batavia. I have a busy bird feeder on my porch railing and watch with amusement and enjoyment all the various visitors. But this morning something different happened. Sitting on the porch floor was a large bird with a black line running across it's red/orange beak, looping below to its neck like a dangling necklace. It was a soft brown with stripes on its wings. I had never seen this type of bird before and I've lived in WNY for over 50 years. After much investigating, I discovered it was a Chukar, more commonly known in the Pacific NW. I was unable to get a picture of it before it scooted off.
Has this bird become more common in NY? Has anyone else seen a Chukar?

--
Bette Wing