Date: 7/13/20 7:40 am
From: John Farmer <ajf-jlf...>
Subject: RE: [birders] Fewer hummers and butterflies for anyone else? A bit OT...
I maintain 5 hummer feeders placed all around our house, some mostly in full sun, some nearly always in shade, and one just outside my study window at the edge of the field of view of my laptop where I'm typing this note. A female hummer (or two different females) has/have visited that feeder at least three times in the hour I've been on my computer this morning. Although I've not seen a male today, they too are around and I see them nearly every day.

Our lot backs up to the wooded flood plain of the Saline River, into which visiting RTHU females often disappear after having fed. My subjective judgment is that the frequency of visits to the feeder at my study window is very much in line with past years, and I believe I'm re-filling all of my feeders at the usual rate. My wife has several flower beds and reports that visits to coral bells and hostas seems to her to match past years.

Regarding butterflies, my subjective appraisal is that I am seeing less species diversity and fewer total individuals this summer than usual, but on Saturday we had a female monarch nectaring and laying eggs on Common Milkweed in one of the flower beds at the same time that two Red Admirals were visiting some Shasta-like Daisies, and a Hairstreak was nectaring on wild bergamot, all within five feet of one another. Yesterday a female Monarch spent fifteen minutes or more nectaring and laying eggs on a pair of Butterfly weeds near my vegetable garden, and a couple of minutes ago when I left my desk for a minute to see if I could find any of those eggs (I did), I saw another Monarch flying across our yard.

Every day I walk 3- to 5-mile loops on the rural roads in our neighborhood, and I record most of the wildlife I spot during those walks. I've attached my cryptic notes from yesterday that show an unusual menagerie with more identified species of butterfly (8) than bird (7), that number of bird species being a small fraction of the 20 or so that I would usually encounter in mid-July. For anyone interested, the butterflies were: (20) Clouded Sulfur, (3) Unidentified species [uidb], (5) Orange Sulfur, (8) Cabbage White, (3) Monarch, (1) Silver-spotted Skipper, (2) European skipper, (2) Black Swallowtail, and (1) Pearl Crescent.

I am extremely concerned with the scientific reports I'm seeing of a greatly diminished diversity and number of insects (and total biodiversity) worldwide. My own 20+/- years of anecdotal records would likely concur in their own minute way with more serious studies, although I have never found time to compile them in an easily manipulatable form.

JF

1/2 mile from Washtenaw/Monroe County Line

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> <mailto:birders+<unsubscribe...> .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/CAKTXQU_18RGuuBNnGGcBThC-fpp6F7%3D%<2BmpPZrY6R3OwPdjNgPw...> <https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/CAKTXQU_18RGuuBNnGGcBThC-fpp6F7%3D%<2BmpPZrY6R3OwPdjNgPw...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<6765538A-81FF-4208-9D2E-21AF5CF0D464...> <https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<6765538A-81FF-4208-9D2E-21AF5CF0D464...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> .

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/001d01d65923%248631b3e0%2492951ba0%<24...>

Join us on Facebook!