Date: 7/12/20 8:27 pm
From: Beverly Hallberg <bhallbergskloot...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Timberline Nutcrackers
Hi Rick,

While I don't know anything about the gray feathers on your bird, I have
seen obvious juvenile Clark's Nutcrackers twice at Timberline Lodge. Last
year in July I was hiking under a tree and happened to look up and see a
baby Clark's sitting right above me silently while I heard and saw the
parent later make trips to the tree to check it out. It was just young and
fluffy looking with a smaller bill and a bit of buffy smudginess around the
bill. Here's the Flickr link:

https://flic.kr/p/2gxQPDP

In July of 2016 I saw this juvenile being fed on a pole in the parking lot
and it had obvious pink, buffy colorations around the face and bill. It
looked very different from the white-faced parent. Flickr link:

https://flic.kr/p/JTxe6h

Best, Beverly Hallberg

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 7:05 PM Richard Leinen <rick.lumen...> wrote:

> I spent last Sunday morning birding up at Timberline Lodge. There were
> some fun birds that I typically only see up there;
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S71374821
>
> There were more Clark’s Nutcrackers than I’ve ever seen and they were not
> timid. My assumption is that they were a mixed flock of adults and young
> though I don’t see any visual evidence in my pictures. My internet
> searches all came up empty on what to expect visually for a juvenile
> nutcracker. I did get some pictures of one bird that is molting. I am
> wondering if anyone knows if this is evidence of a young bird. Also, are
> the darker gray feathers new or the lighter gray?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick
> Wilsonville

Join us on Facebook!