Date: 7/12/20 6:53 pm
From: Brandon Wagner <bmwboarder...>
Subject: [obol] Baskett Slough NWR birds
Hi birding friends,

My family and I took a nice long hike around Baskett Slough NWR early this
morning. We started at the main parking lot along Coville Rd and hiked up
over the butte, to the inter-tie trail, and then did the full loop around
the Morgan Lake/Moffitti Marsh trail and then back. All together the hike
was about 4.4 miles.

The best bird was a pair of Black Terns. I saw them once from near Morgan
Lake, and then they seemed more settled later at Moffitti Marsh. We also
saw a Green Heron at Morgan Lake. The whole loop goes thru a nice variety
of habitat. Moffitti Marsh had a pair of Black-necked Stilts, plus a bunch
of canada geese. Horned Larks sang out in a few different spots. A
Yellow-breasted Chat sang from the dense swampy brush south of Moffitti
Marsh. Moffitti marsh has fairly shallow water right now, and if it got
just a little lower, I think it might end up being really nice for
shorebird season. The east end of the trail near Morgan Lake also seemed to
be a nice open habitat that would be fun to walk repeatedly thru May/June.

Is it likely the Black Terns are breeding there, being present this late?
I also saw/heard Acorn woodpeckers in a couple different spots. I don't
think these used to be around the refuge much?

At a quick stop at the Narrows (Taverner's Marsh area), there were at least
3 Green Herons, one which was on the railing just a dozen feet from the
road. Plus a Sora walking around on the mud flats in the canal. Sure fun
to see!

Cheers,
Brandon Wagner

Join us on Facebook!